Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Deity weapons for sale in temples
dave
  Posted: Dec 9 2005, 07:27 AM
Quote Post

shad but true

Group: DN Design Lead
Member No.: 78

Based on some in game conversation, I'm thinking that not everyone understands how these work, or what some of the advantages of them are. Anyway, over the last couple months, we added temples in game for all nine (9) of the DN deities. Temples offer a few different services, including basic healing supplies. High level divine casters [clerics and druids] can safely transport entire parties out of trouble - and into the sanctuary of their temple [hmm, note to self - double check that I finished that feature for the last couple temples].

Finally, the temples sell some basic gear. Armor and weapons and such, mostly suitable for L5-8 chars.

There is a special feature for the melee weapons sold in temples, however. If your PC follows a DN deity, and if you use a weapon from your deity's temple store, and if your alignment is legal for a follower of that deity, the weapon will slowly improve as your PC gains more levels. The special bonuses are added to the weapons only when they are equipped, and are removed when the weapons are unequipped.

For example, Sylene uses a pair of Short Swords of Suffering, which she purchased in the Temple of Mithra. Although the " of Suffering" weapons for sale in that temple are all +1 +1d6 acid weapons, Mithra blesses Sylene's swords and improves them to +2 +1d6 acid when she equips them. The weapons will improve even more as she gains additional levels. At level 27, [iirc], these holy temple weapons can become +5 weapons with elemental damage added.

NOTE: this only works for melee weapons; ranged weapons and armor are not affected.

Note that while you can often get "better" weapons in terms of +s in other stores, or craft similar weapons with ATS, only holy weapons will improve as your character levels up. These are not intended to always necessarily be the "best weapon available, but they should be serviceable for a PCs whole career from L8-L27 and do serve as some in game flavor for the deities. However, as these weapons do scale to +5 at L27, they are entirely useable as endgame weapons, and you can buy them pretty cheaply and start using them at L8 [for around 15k gold]. This makes them very nice options to consider for your first character[s] on the server, when cash tends to be tightest.

Also note, you cannot improve these weapons further with PSPs. ohmy.gif

-d.

--------------------
Dreu Noctem
- featuring arQon's EMS Spell system
- DN Bug reports go here or here!

[12:32] <arQon> i can design a munchkin in 2 minutes, but it takes me hours to pick a name :P
PMUsers Website
Phage
Posted: Dec 9 2005, 09:55 AM
Quote Post

Divine Asskickerologist

Group: DN Module Designer
Member No.: 117

As a further note: these weapons can be unimprovable using spells like Greater Magic Weapon or appropriate Darkfire. Basically, anything that will overwrite the mods existing will be nuked. I'm not sure just how you can improve the weapons, that is, which spells work or not. Feel free to experiment. But be aware of this limitation.

Keen is a property you'll gain at some point with this weapon too, no?

--------------------
Veni, vidi, dormivi. - I came, I saw... I slept.
-----------------------------
Current writing project (on hold): The Hidden Depths
Check out A Guide to Divine Asskickery - DN Cleric Guide!
"Prestige classes are classes that every player would like their characters to have, but must first gain permission from Wizards of the Coast before their character can take one." - RPGA test
PMEmail Poster
dave
Posted: Dec 9 2005, 10:25 AM
Quote Post

shad but true

I think GMW and Darkfire were the only spells that didn't work. Don tested it out and posted his results design side. I suspect Flame weapon wont work on Naigdon's [already fire enahnced] weapons, but stuff like that is the exception not the rule afaik.

-d.

--------------------
Dreu Noctem

[12:32] <arQon> i can design a munchkin in 2 minutes, but it takes me hours to pick a name :P
PMUsers Website
fair_n_hite_451
Posted: Dec 9 2005, 11:34 AM
Quote Post

Down by the Bayou

Group: Dreu Noctem Player
Member No.: 387

If this isn't asking for too much to be given away ....

Are the improvements keyed to levels gained while in possession of the weapon (which is how I understand HAs to work) OR is it tied to the level of the character wielding the weapon?

In other words, if a lvl 8 crafter buys Naigdon's CraftMaster WarHammer (say, pulling an example totally out of thin air and not wondering anything at all about Tinker OakenSpur who just happens to cart one of those around) and then gains 4 levels ... is his version of the hammer better than someone who comes along at lvl 12 and buys & equips the same hammer?

blink.gif

CrS

--------------------
Clan OakenSpur ... those are usually me.

PM me if you're looking for weapons or armor. I don't man a store, but will have Tinker Oakenspur create items on a commission basis.
PMEmail Poster
Phage
Posted: Dec 9 2005, 04:47 PM
Quote Post

Divine Asskickerologist

Group: DN Module Designer
Member No.: 117

Subtle tongue.gif

Tied to the level.

--------------------
Veni, vidi, dormivi. - I came, I saw... I slept.
-----------------------------
Current writing project (on hold): The Hidden Depths
Check out A Guide to Divine Asskickery - DN Cleric Guide!
"Prestige classes are classes that every player would like their characters to have, but must first gain permission from Wizards of the Coast before their character can take one." - RPGA test
PMEmail Poster
dave
Posted: Dec 9 2005, 05:07 PM
Quote Post

shad but true

It's tied to your character level at the time you equip it. I make sure to reequip my deity weapons every time I level up, just in case they got better and because I forget the breakpoints for when they improve. ohmy.gif

-d.

--------------------
Dreu Noctem

PMUsers Website
Ghost117
Posted: Dec 10 2005, 04:36 PM
Quote Post

Dreu Poets Society

Member No.: 447

wait...the HA is tied to how many levels u got while wielding it? sad.gif

also a question about this:
I am a follower of Mithra and a bow user... so i dont get bonuses on the bow because its a bow? thats sad. also does your char have to be the exact alignment that is sayd in they diety guide? If im LG and wana use a Mithra longsword will i get the bonuses from it when i wield it?
PMEmail Poster
InvalidUsername
Posted: Dec 10 2005, 05:54 PM
Quote Post

Member No.: 460

QUOTE (Ghost117 @ Dec 10 2005, 04:36 PM)
wait...the HA is tied to how many levels u got while wielding it? sad.gif

also a question about this:
I am a follower of Mithra and a bow user... so i dont get bonuses on the bow because its a bow? thats sad. also does your char have to be the exact alignment that is sayd in they diety guide? If im LG and wana use a Mithra longsword will i get the bonuses from it when i wield it?

My interpretation from what dave and phage are saying is, it's tied to your character level, period, full stop, end of story. Thus, if you buy one the moment you can start using it, it will gain bonuses as you level. If you wait, and buy one a few levels later, it will automatically have the bonuses applied the moment you equip it.

Unsure as to why ranged weapons were left out of the equation, but I'm sure there's a good reason. Maybe it's too much work to fiddle with bows, slings, and thrown weapons, due to the fact bows and slings use amo, and thrown weapons need to be constantly replaced?
PMEmail Poster
dave
Posted: Dec 10 2005, 07:10 PM
Quote Post

shad but true

QUOTE (dave @ Dec 9 2005, 08:07 PM)
It's tied to your character level at the time you equip it.

See above. The same code handles Holy Avengers and Deity store weaponry.

As for ranged weapons, I wanted to do something similar but have not due to technical difficulties. Mithra was going to be my case study, actually. I wanted to give the bows unlimited ammo, acid damage arrows for followers of Mithra, in keeping with the theme of the other items available in the Mithra store.

Unfortunately, it's not possible. If you open your toolset and try to add unlimited ammo: damage type acid, you'll see why. We did have a Design Ambassador look into doing some HAK work to add this feature for us [he was interested in the same feature for his project work elsewhere, I think], but a viable solution was not available. So unless Bioware adds new toys related to this for us in a future patch, we can't do it in keeping with the elemental themes of the deities.

And yeah, there are alternative solutions available on the vault to add new kinds of unlimited ammo ranged weaponry. The ones I've tried out are not satisfactory for what I'd like to do, imho. I'm generally concerned that a number of the vault solutions will be too laggy for a multiplayer environment. We're very sensitive to that - I don't want to run a script every time you fire an arrow.

As a result, I have no plans to extend this feature to ranged weapons at this point in time. There are hooks in the design available so that I can extend it if a future patch from Bioware gives me some love. I wouldn't hold my breath, though.

-d.

--------------------
Dreu Noctem

PMUsers Website
Emaleth_Donnelaith
Posted: Dec 13 2005, 09:14 PM
Quote Post

Dragonslayer

Group: DN Dungeon Mistress
Member No.: 59

Ok, might be due to me being Chaotic Evil... but Shortswords from my Diety Charess aren't doing the FX. For Worshipers she says any, but for Clerics she requests LE, LN , NE and N. So should Blackie (Rogue/Fighter) start doing some Neutral work? LOL, Although I doubt he would be able to get to that point being Chaotic 10 and Evil 11. Also too, Blackie Duals.. but I did try it with just one sword and still no effects. No biggie really if he's too chaotic for her, but for others if they need to follow the Cleric alignments and not just the Worshipers, it might come in handy. Of course too, it might be the swords not working right lol. :-)

I'll still keep them regardless and they do look nice dripping all green with acid heh ehh

--------------------
My Alter-Ego's here on Dreu Noctem

DM Avatar - Miss Red Ruby Deelight

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Cuiusvis hominis est errare, nullius nisi insipientis in errore perseverare.
PMEmail PosterMSN
dave
Posted: Dec 13 2005, 09:21 PM
Quote Post

shad but true

QUOTE (Emaleth_Donnelaith @ Dec 14 2005, 12:14 AM)
Ok, might be due to me being Chaotic Evil... but Shortswords from my Diety Charess aren't doing the FX. For Worshipers she says any, but for Clerics she requests LE, LN , NE and N. So should Blackie (Rogue/Fighter) start doing some Neutral work? LOL, Although I doubt he would be able to get to that point being Chaotic 10 and Evil 11. Also too, Blackie Duals.. but I did try it with just one sword and still no effects. No biggie really if he's too chaotic for her, but for others if they need to follow the Cleric alignments and not just the Worshipers, it might come in handy. Of course too, it might be the swords not working right lol. :-)

I'll still keep them regardless and they do look nice dripping all green with acid heh ehh

Are those swords of Mithra or Charess? Charess's weapons don't drop green acid.

-d.

--------------------
Dreu Noctem

PMUsers Website
Emaleth_Donnelaith
Posted: Dec 14 2005, 03:57 AM
Quote Post

Dragonslayer

Hmm Well lol, might have just assumed since I was mind blanking there and well after my bedtime... and hold off on the maybe not working... iirc at first use (Level 8) they don't get all that fancy visual FX anyway. But yes, Charess's Temple were where they were bought. Short Sword of the Rose is the name? I'll have to get back to you on these as it might just be me that's borked.

EDIT: Heh heh ok, make that Red Swords, Thorn of the Rose... anyhoo, maybe that's it just being the first level able to using them. I'll wait and see what happens when I get more levels then.

This post has been edited by Emaleth_Donnelaith on Dec 14 2005, 04:04 AM

--------------------

PMEmail PosterMSN
dave
Posted: Dec 14 2005, 06:09 AM
Quote Post

shad but true

Okee. I had noted that Sylene didn't get VFX on her Mithra swords sometimes, and didn't figure out why. It eventually kicked in [maybe after a rest or level up] and I haven't seen the same problem. Again, it was when she was too young to get a boosted version of the swords, too, like your char.

Anyway, if you can figure out why they're not always VFXing, that'd be great, otherwise, I prolly can't do much anyway. :/

-d.

--------------------
Dreu Noctem

PMUsers Website
Emaleth_Donnelaith
Posted: Dec 14 2005, 07:12 AM
Quote Post

Dragonslayer

Yeah heheh will have to see at level up then. They are very handy to have.. nice swords for an evil person :-) And if his alignment needs to be more neutral than chaotic.. well, they are still worthy to have in a pinch.

Thanks Dave!

--------------------

PMEmail PosterMSN
fair_n_hite_451
Posted: Dec 14 2005, 07:39 AM
Quote Post

Down by the Bayou

Member No.: 387

I've seen the "not always VFXing" issue with Tinker's Naigdon's CraftMaster warhammer as well. I'll try paying attention to when and why to see if I can detect a pattern.

CrS

--------------------
Clan OakenSpur ... those are usually me.

PM me if you're looking for weapons or armor. I don't man a store, but will have Tinker Oakenspur create items on a commission basis.
PMEmail Poster
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
« Next Oldest | DN: The Achaea Armory - Strategy Forum | Next Newest »

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0275 ]   [ 11 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]