Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Char End Game +
nicethugbert
Posted: May 3 2005, 05:00 PM
Quote Post

Group: Dreu Noctem Player
Member No.: 385

<ramble>

What do ppl on DN do with their toons once they reach max level? Are they usefull for things other than crafting? I don't see too many level 26 toons running around.

One reason I ask is because I am contemplating some caster clerics and druids and I want to know if it's worth it to finish them with a bit of the ole' monkey cheese for wis AC, discipline, and tumble. To monkey cheese or not to monkey cheese, that is one of the underlying questions as it determines my int score so I can get discipline and tumble, wether I have a bonus cleric feat at level 26, and infinite elemental shape at druid level 26, etc.

OK, another question, this one slightly dumb, how does DN compare to HotU? I played an Elf Druid in HotU with starting str10, dex16, con10, wis18, int10, cha08, weopon finese, and not to good feat selection and he sailed right thru HotU.

My upcoming DN cleric and druid will have Combat Casting, Extend Spell, Silent Spell, Empower Spell, Maximize Spell, Spell Focus(Evocation), Greater Spell Focus(Evocation), Some Other Pre-Epic Feat, Improved Combat Casting, Epic Spell Focus(Evocation), Epic Skill Focus(Concentration).

</ramble>

--------------------
<ambiguous>If you focus on the rose you will miss the danger of the thorns.</ambiguous>
If you focus on the rose you will miss the beauty of the thorns, eh, huh, eh, uh hmm aah ... ;)
My Toons
PMEmail Poster
arQon
Posted: May 3 2005, 05:14 PM
Quote Post

EMS creator and DN Offical Bug Manager

Group: DN Design Lead
Member No.: 297

The two Priest classes (Clerics and Druids) are extremely strong no matter what the mod is. They're the only base classes other than Monk that have BOTH the "important" saves (Fort and Will) as primary, they have the best offensive AND defensive spells in the game, and unlike Mages also have good BAB. Clerics in particular have the best AB and damage of any class except WM. Druids are a slightly more defensive class with the best protection spells in the game by far: much better than Mages get.

DN is harder than HOTU simply because HOTU is rife with absurd uberitems that make you immune to all magic and 90% of physical/etc damage, while tripling your own damage output. With none of that gear on DN, you have to be a LOT smarter about your play in general, especially wrt saves, AB, and AC.

--------------------
azmaveth> so, for my first stint as a dm, I feel the need to spawn a dragon or two on a party of babies...
dave> go find Kev when he makes his next baby :p
dave> he prolly kill it
PM
dave
Posted: May 3 2005, 05:24 PM
Quote Post

shad but true

Member No.: 78

To be honest, I mostly use my high level toons for playtesting new areas or to hang out in old favorites with friends. Sometimes, if I'm lucky, I'll catch a DM in the mood to set up a Death Halls run. Have you had a chance to do one of those? It's perfectly ok to request one. Even if you don't know what it is.

Hint: Death Halls. smile.gif

As for the other part of your question, if you check the hall of fame link, we have all sorts of builds at the top end of the level cap. And, with the Fountain of Youth quest, you can try out your build with and without a level of monk (or whatever) to see what you like. The only decisions you're locked into are the L1 design decisions.

-shad

--------------------
Dreu Noctem
- featuring arQon's EMS Spell system
- DN Bug reports go here or here!

[12:32] <arQon> i can design a munchkin in 2 minutes, but it takes me hours to pick a name :P
PMUsers Website
nicethugbert
Posted: May 3 2005, 05:29 PM
Quote Post

Group: Dreu Noctem Player
Member No.: 385

So, it's official, Monkey Cheese is the Topping of Choice of Divine Asskickers. smile.gif

Monkey Cheese AC:
+04 (18 starting wis bonus)
+03 (06 wis ability stat increase bonus)
+02 (14 starting dex bonus)
+06 (+wis gear/spells bonus)
+06 (+dex gear/spells bonus)
+05 (tumble AC bonus)
---------------------------------------------
+26 AC

Plate/Tower Shield AC:
+08 (Plate Armor)
+01 (Dex Bonus)
+03 (Tower Shield)
+05 (+Shield AC)
---------------------------------------------
+17 AC

Monkey Cheese wins!

P.S. Shad, my minds eye can see your evil grin. smile.gif

--------------------
<ambiguous>If you focus on the rose you will miss the danger of the thorns.</ambiguous>
If you focus on the rose you will miss the beauty of the thorns, eh, huh, eh, uh hmm aah ... ;)
My Toons
PMEmail Poster
Phage
Posted: May 3 2005, 09:17 PM
Quote Post

Divine Asskickerologist

Group: DN Module Designer
Member No.: 117

Of course, there's the little matter of getting Uncanny Dodge to prevent your Monkey Cheese from going moldy tongue.gif

--------------------
Veni, vidi, dormivi. - I came, I saw... I slept.
-----------------------------
Current writing project (on hold): The Hidden Depths
Check out A Guide to Divine Asskickery - DN Cleric Guide!
"Prestige classes are classes that every player would like their characters to have, but must first gain permission from Wizards of the Coast before their character can take one." - RPGA test
PMEmail Poster
dave
Posted: May 3 2005, 09:34 PM
Quote Post

shad but true

Member No.: 78

Monkey see , Monkey do.

DN is harder than the OC largely because, as arQon points out, we don't make you immune to everything. You can't cakewalk through DN with a *bad* build. We kinda ssume people have done that in the OC and are interested in a bit bigger challenge.

If I could tell you one thing to increase your odds of success with any character, it would be this: find a partner. If you want to make a rogue archer, find a tank. If you want to make a tank, find some artillery (spellcaster/archer/whatever). Bigger groups can be tough to organize here at the moment with our poulation, but two is doable. Complimentary characters make everything easier. We had a group of 5 powergamerish people rolling through a high level part of the mod for a while tonight without batting an eyelash. All are capable of soloing - sure - but together we rolled over stuff targetted for well above the Druid (L17) I was playing.

Multiplayer is where it is at.

Ultimately, we're hoping the dragon lairs we're building will be an interesting enough run that people will think of conquering the dragons as an endgame "achievement" worth writing home about. There is are 3 about 60-70% done each, one of which you can get into and play if you find the way.

Be warned, these dragons aren't Klauth.

-shad

--------------------
Dreu Noctem
- featuring arQon's EMS Spell system
- DN Bug reports go here or here!

[12:32] <arQon> i can design a munchkin in 2 minutes, but it takes me hours to pick a name :P
PMUsers Website
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
« Next Oldest | DN: The Crossroads - Suggestions and Questions Inbox | Next Newest »

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0244 ]   [ 12 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]