Dreu Noctem

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Cleric Guide Feedback, Contributions, contributions...
dave
Posted: Sep 29 2004, 04:54 AM
Quote Post

shad but true

Group: DN Design Lead
Member No.: 78

Yeah, but Ema is right; Death Armor is not a cleric spell. sad.gif

Blade Barrier and Storm of Vengance have been broken since about patch 1.31 or 1.32; arQon's EMS spell system, which we are experimenting with, has fixed this issue for us. We haven't committed to his changes yet, but there will be a poll I intend to start tomorrow to see if people mind making that a permanent part of DN.

I don't think arQon beefed up the Balor directly (I could be wrong), but his spells usee the same scripts that arQon has touched for PCs.

-shad

--------------------
Dreu Noctem
- featuring arQon's EMS Spell system
- DN Bug reports go here or here!

[12:32] <arQon> i can design a munchkin in 2 minutes, but it takes me hours to pick a name :P
PMUsers Website
Qilue
Posted: Oct 13 2004, 10:47 AM
Quote Post

Holy Bug Hunter

Group: Dreu Noctem Player
Member No.: 221

I was looking over the weapons Sorella sells and one kind of caught my attention who's name escapes me (it looks like a rapier). Now most non-caster fighter types may not think much of it as a weapon, (rapier, keen, +2d6 critical, fear (5) 2/day).

But a cleric could add greater magic weapon and darkfire and create a quite astounding impliment of death. Granted only elves, rogue multi-classes and clerics with martial weapon proficiency could use it, but those three cases could take improved critical rapier and gain themselves quite a handy blade.

As a bonus, it's not very expensive either.
PM
Phage
Posted: Oct 13 2004, 12:02 PM
Quote Post

Divine Asskickerologist

Group: DN Module Designer
Member No.: 117

Yeah. I'm going to note on spell commentary that a cleric can turn any weapon into a fearsome one due to spells like Greater Magic Weapon and Darkfire.

But first, I'm working on Chapter 7 of the Hidden Depths. Thanks tho smile.gif

--------------------
Veni, vidi, dormivi. - I came, I saw... I slept.
-----------------------------
Current writing project (on hold): The Hidden Depths
Check out A Guide to Divine Asskickery - DN Cleric Guide!
"Prestige classes are classes that every player would like their characters to have, but must first gain permission from Wizards of the Coast before their character can take one." - RPGA test
PMEmail Poster
Phage
Posted: Oct 17 2004, 12:42 AM
Quote Post

Divine Asskickerologist

Bumpage. Chapter 7 of Hidden Depths was complete, and so was Section 6, on Multiclassing.

--------------------
"Prestige classes are classes that every player would like their characters to have, but must first gain permission from Wizards of the Coast before their character can take one." - RPGA test
PMEmail Poster
arQon
Posted: Oct 17 2004, 10:12 AM
Quote Post

EMS creator and DN Offical Bug Manager

Member No.: 297

> (Monks) also do not have Uncanny Dodge, which can be a big deal since you also stand to lose WIS bonus to AC if you

--------------------
azmaveth> so, for my first stint as a dm, I feel the need to spawn a dragon or two on a party of babies...
dave> go find Kev when he makes his next baby :p
dave> he prolly kill it
PM
Phage
Posted: Oct 17 2004, 01:54 PM
Quote Post

Divine Asskickerologist

Heh... never seen a cleric in light armor, have you? ohmy.gif

Thanks for the corrections otherwise.

--------------------
PMEmail Poster
arQon
Posted: Nov 2 2004, 05:56 AM
Quote Post

> Search: This one keeps a sharp lookout for traps and hidden doors. You can get around trap problem by Find Trap, but hidden doors, good luck. This is a WIS-based skill

It's INT-based.

--------------------
azmaveth> so, for my first stint as a dm, I feel the need to spawn a dragon or two on a party of babies...
dave> he prolly kill it
PM
Phage
Posted: Nov 2 2004, 10:58 AM
Quote Post

Divine Asskickerologist

Fixed, thanks. I referenced most of the skills from memory last night.

--------------------
PMEmail Poster
Emaleth_Donnelaith
Posted: Nov 2 2004, 02:30 PM
Quote Post

Dragonslayer

Group: DN Dungeon Mistress
Member No.: 59

QUOTE (Phage @ Oct 17 2004, 02:54 PM)
Heh... never seen a cleric in light armor, have you? :o

Thanks for the corrections otherwise.

Is fleetness light armor? If so Marissa uses it quite often, mainly due to her forgetting she has it on after mass buffing.. when she remembers she doffs her standing armor.

--------------------
My Alter-Ego's here on Dreu Noctem

DM Avatar - Miss Red Ruby Deelight

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Cuiusvis hominis est errare, nullius nisi insipientis in errore perseverare.
PMEmail PosterMSN
Phage
Posted: Nov 2 2004, 02:57 PM
Quote Post

Divine Asskickerologist

Heh.

I suppose that will work huh.gif

I was really talking about clerics who built around high DEX concept, or maybe even monk multiclasses with high WIS. Those clerics now avoid heavy armors like a plague.

--------------------
PMEmail Poster
arQon
Posted: Nov 6 2004, 02:53 AM
Quote Post

> Blind Fight

I'm not convinced this actually works against concealment. In fact, I'm kinda convinced that it doesn't.

> Improved Initiative

--------------------
dave> he prolly kill it
PM
Phage
Posted: Nov 6 2004, 10:54 AM
Quote Post

Divine Asskickerologist

Thanks. Made some changes, but...

IKD: Not really. Having used a pally tank who has KD but no IKD, I also couldn't disagree with your statement more smile.gif

Arcane Defense: I thought I already discouraged them enough? smile.gif Improving saves is a valid strategy, IMHO, especially if you've been stocking on Spellcraft and Lightning Reflexes to beat your crappy reflex save.

Silent: Well, rats. Having never used the particular strategy...

Extra Turning: I've had melee clerics and paladins making do without this feat. The key is your disgustingly high CHA smile.gif

--------------------
PMEmail Poster
arQon
Posted: Nov 6 2004, 07:45 PM
Quote Post

I think KD/IKD depends a lot on the world (do we need to clarify that halfling/gnome chars should never take it?) and the char's age. There's a window where it works really well, but then you cross a threshhold and you just can't ever succeed with it except on threatening rolls. The (huge) benefit to IKD in my eyes is that provided you use it sensibly it's exactly as "valid" as a normal attack, but also has the potential to remove the enemy from the game for a round (or permanently, if you're a Fire Giant tongue.gif).
Where you run into problems with non-I KDs is that DN AC is so high the -4 tohit is kinda brutal, so you're almost left with Expertise without the AC bonus. Buffed *Warrior* classes can sort of get away with it because they get that +4 back from their higher BAB, but I'm not convinced an average-BAB *Cleric* can except when using Divine Power/Favor.

> Arcane Defense: I thought I already discouraged them enough?

Yeah, probably. I figured I'd throw my support behind your opinion just in case someone was still considering it. smile.gif
One thing that's very handy for Clerics is that they get even less use out of the bracers/gloves slot than most other classes: +AC there is no use because your armor will already have it, and +DEX is no use in Plate, so DN's +Reflex gear seems almost custom-made for them.

Extra Turning depends a lot on your build, I think. If you only bought "cheap" CHA (14) up front, I'd still give it serious consideration just for the extra Might/Shield uses. I generally get this from an item first (it's a cheap item with good overall benefits in the first place anyway) and only worry about taking it "naturally" at 15+, if I find that I *am* burning through all my uses every day. Like you say, it's Expertise without the prereqs, but also without the -5 tohit: I think that's a real bargain for a melee cleric. Note that as of EMS, Might/Shield AREN'T subject to dispels any more, and that increases their value quite a lot IMO.

--------------------
dave> he prolly kill it
PM
Phage
Posted: Nov 8 2004, 10:05 PM
Quote Post

Divine Asskickerologist

You hit it, arQ. If the cleric's combat-dedicated enough to take KD, then he'll at least take some support spells to make sure it's not useless, nya? INT isn't exactly high on a Cleric's priority list...

I dunno. Low CHA means that they're not gonna get used much, ever. If the cleric has 14 CHA, buffing with Eagle's, that's still +4 dmg (which is not too bad) for 4 rounds (which is kinda low). The point where this thing starts to matter is when the cleric can somehow scrape together at least +6 or +7 modifier to CHA, Paladin-style. In which case, you prolly don't need that many Turns anyway. But yeah, Extra Turning, as I said, is one of those 'you'll know it when you need it' feats.

--------------------
PMEmail Poster
D_Spear
Posted: Nov 28 2004, 04:42 AM
Quote Post

Valkrye Conoisseur

Group: Dreu Noctem Player
Member No.: 194

Combat clerics....

Need...

Extended spells biggrin.gif

Well... robin loves them tongue.gif

--------------------
<My Character Thingies>

Arkinsire of Panor - Elven Ranger(10)/Assassin(7)
color=red]Brave Sir Robin[/color] - Human (Scaredy) Cleric(14)
Li'liath Genivia - Elven Fighter(7) - Potential Blackguard
Su-Char - Elven Fighter(6)/Monk(6)/Champion of Mithra(5)

teh wall of spear. Teh uber tank. Teh little ama that could (tank). - Dave.
PMEmail Poster
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
« Next Oldest | DN: The Achaea Armory - Strategy Forum | Next Newest »

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0340 ]   [ 12 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]