Dreu Noctem

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> NWN Enhanced Poll, Measuring Player/Builder Interest

Are you planning/interested in updating to NWNE?
Yes, definitely will update [ 3 ]  [75.00%]
No, definitely will not update [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
Uncertain. More info? [ 1 ]  [25.00%]
Interested, but probably won't update. [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
Other (explain below!) [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
Total Votes: 4
Guests cannot vote 
dave
  Posted on Nov 27 2017, 03:07 AM
Quote Post

shad but true

Group: DN Design Lead
Member No.: 78

Info about NWN Enhanced Edition is available here.

Full discolsure - I've already pre-ordered so I can tinker with the beta. That DOES NOT mean DN has to update, but one of the "Yes" votes in the poll will be mine.

Do you care if DN does/does not update? Please reply to the poll, or post your thoughts.

-Dave

--------------------
Dreu Noctem
- featuring arQon's EMS Spell system
- DN Bug reports go here or here!

[12:32] <arQon> i can design a munchkin in 2 minutes, but it takes me hours to pick a name :P
PMUsers Website
Strider
Posted on Nov 27 2017, 07:27 PM
Quote Post

PowerMuchkinGamer

Group: DN Module Designer
Member No.: 186

10 years later, I'm getting the desire to come back and run around a bit. tongue.gif

You guys have a coles notes of how to get NWN running these days? I'm still on W7 and have an NVIDIA card now.

--------------------
Neil "Strider" Looby
DM Avatar: Zerroffe Traptripper
NWN Screen Shots Gallery
Dreu Noctem Characters

Sometimes you burn a bridge. Othertimes you have to napalm it.
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteICQ
dave
Posted on Nov 27 2017, 08:01 PM
Quote Post

shad but true

For v1.69 (last Bioware release)

Erm, basically, install from your disks, download the stuff on our Downloads page and install it. Our TLK goes in the tlk subdir and all of the .hak files need to be in your hak dir. I think we redirect you to the vault for downloading the CTP stuff, the rest we host.

Beyond that, there can be some system specific graphics card drama to deal with and lots of bits you can customize, but nothing required. Have you got your disks and CD keys lying around?

For NWN Enhanced (new Beamdog release)

Note: this isn't supported on DN at the moment.

Go to Beamdog and pre-order. Install their Beamdog client, opt-in to the "Head Start", and you'll start to download their latest clients.

The details of where to stick the TLK and HAK files are slightly different for this version of the game, but it doesn't matter for DN.

Reply to this thread if you need more details and I'll update this post as needed.

-Dave

--------------------
Dreu Noctem

[12:32] <arQon> i can design a munchkin in 2 minutes, but it takes me hours to pick a name :P
PMUsers Website
arQon
Posted on Nov 28 2017, 02:40 AM
Quote Post

EMS creator and DN Offical Bug Manager

Member No.: 297

i'm definitely interested - nwn had easily justified its cost to me over 10 years ago even without dn, and i'd certainly like some bugfixes, esp for the graphics. that said, dn is the only "important" nwn to me to me these days - but, even if we end up not being able to use it on the server for some reason (nwnx) and thus lose all the gameplay bugfixes, i'd still use it as a client (assuming they haven't changed the protocol and broken interop).

--------------------
azmaveth> so, for my first stint as a dm, I feel the need to spawn a dragon or two on a party of babies...
dave> go find Kev when he makes his next baby :p
dave> he prolly kill it
PM
dave
Posted on Nov 28 2017, 05:23 PM
Quote Post

shad but true

They've made minor protocol changes, and have more planned. But they've also apparently been working with the nwnx folks to try and facilitate their work. So, I'm expecting they're making an honest effort to provide a path forward for nwnx folks.

-Dave

--------------------
Dreu Noctem

PMUsers Website
Emaleth_Donnelaith
Posted on Nov 29 2017, 12:56 AM
Quote Post

Dragonslayer

Group: DN Dungeon Mistress
Member No.: 59

Hallos!

Ok, as I love NWN and DN especially (even though it's hard to play on worknights with you all!) I am not sure as one... I still run Win XP and can't find out whether it is compatible & I don't use Steam and yes, will eventually have to upgrade at some point but Lotro still works and of course NWN and I do not like Win 10 and looking at build kits that seems to be the only OS offered, would go for Win 7... maybe 8 if I had to but even getting 7 would have to do total install. Oddly enough my motherboard, graphics and all would be much better served being on 7! I have issues for sound for example and can only use headphones. I'm still that old dinosaur who believes 'if it's not broke (i.e., Blue Screen of Death!) don't fix it!'

Anyhoo, you all do what you want as DN is your baby!

XOXOXO

--------------------
My Alter-Ego's here on Dreu Noctem

DM Avatar - Miss Red Ruby Deelight

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Cuiusvis hominis est errare, nullius nisi insipientis in errore perseverare.
PMEmail PosterMSN
dave
Posted on Nov 29 2017, 01:40 AM
Quote Post

shad but true

I double-checked the FAQ and NWN Enhanced will need Windows 7 or above. (Or mac or linux)

-Dave

--------------------
Dreu Noctem

PMUsers Website
arQon
Posted on Nov 29 2017, 05:36 AM
Quote Post

hi kathy! smile.gif

places like newegg still sell win7, but yeah, you'd pretty much have to build the machine yourself. (or, find someone that builds machines without windows installed - a number of vendors do make linux boxes - and then install 7 yourself. at which point you'd have to ensure that all the hardware has win7 drivers etc, but it's pretty safe to say that it will).

7 is a worthwhile upgrade from xp (though it's worth pointing out that at this point 7 "only" has ?3.5? years of support left, but if you're still on xp that's obviously not going to bother you) and building your own machine is actually pretty trivial, but it's definitely unnerving if you've never done it before and don't have someone at hand to turn to for help.

one potentially-worthwhile sidenote: you can run the trial version of 7 for *6 months* if you want to see if it fixes your sound issues etc (and in fact, you can run it indefinitely if you really want to). no idea if you'd have to do a clean install of it or not, but tbh that would be strongly advisable anyway, considering how much windows rots over time. (i expect there's a "migration"-type install, where it would preserve your Documents folder etc, but you'd still have to reinstall your programs).

--------------------
azmaveth> so, for my first stint as a dm, I feel the need to spawn a dragon or two on a party of babies...
dave> he prolly kill it
PM
Emaleth_Donnelaith
Posted on Nov 29 2017, 12:30 PM
Quote Post

Dragonslayer

Group: DN Dungeon Mistress
Member No.: 59

Hiya Kev!

I've built before, this one here is a barebone's kit I got from Tiger Direct in hmm probably 2010? And as far as hard drives go, heh heh, I got an empty one that's prob one of those terrabite ones? Oohh, maybe I'll do that, get Win 7 and use my main hardware and just flip out the XP HD, put in the new HD and install 7.

Wasn't too hard making the tower, just took hmm I think it was 3 days for the first lol. This last was only 5 or 6 hours heh heh... nerves you know and static fear!

Early Morning Brain working on only one cuppa... probably not such a good idea...

--------------------
My Alter-Ego's here on Dreu Noctem

DM Avatar - Miss Red Ruby Deelight

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Cuiusvis hominis est errare, nullius nisi insipientis in errore perseverare.
PMEmail PosterMSN
arQon
Posted on Nov 29 2017, 02:13 PM
Quote Post

if you've got a spare drive, that definitely makes things easier. as you say, swap the drive out and do a clean w7 install onto the new one, and you're set. smile.gif
that has the added bonus of guaranteeing that windows doesn't decide to reformat your existing drive without telling you, and wipe all your data. (it's always good to have a backup of important stuff anyway, but especially so when doing something like this).

one thing i cannot recommend strongly enough (to all of you, really) is that if you have a machine capable of booting from a usb drive, a linux install (or "livecd" version) on one is an absolute godsend: it'll give you a way to download windows drivers if eg your network card needs ones that aren't in the windows install image, as well as easy access to firefox etc if you need to look online for troubleshooting, and a ton of useful tools for things like partitioning etc. be sure to avoid versions of linux that use shitty DEs like gnome3 or unity though: MATE is the best option since it doesn't suck in the first place, and more importantly it doesn't have the GL dependencies of the "modern" DEs.

--------------------
dave> he prolly kill it
PM
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
« Next Oldest | DN: The AFK Lounge - Community Discussion and Off Topic Chatter | Next Newest »

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0413 ]   [ 14 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]