Dreu Noctem

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Suggestion: Rest area half way through Amuria Crux, *SPOILERS* lots of spoiler info about lairs inside
althai
Posted: Nov 6 2006, 12:45 PM
Quote Post

Bug Hunter

Group: DN Dungeon Master
Member No.: 124

I think there should be a small rest spot about half way through the Amuria Crux Draconis area. Every time I have been to Amuria, we either bailed part-way through because we had casters who had no spells, or else we had to walk back to the entrance, outside, rest, and walk back inside, which is kind of annoying and also feels cheap. Even divine classes have a hard time going without rest for the entire run to the dragon. The problem is, it is essentially impossible to get through the whole area without resting unless you are a pure fighter-type who doesn't have or need buffs. Otherwise, you will simply run out of buffs before you reach the end, let alone offensive spells.

Compare Amuria with the other lairs: Dragonshadow Mountain and Tunnels of the Tannim. In dragonshadow mountain, you can get all of the way to the summit of the mountain, resting as you go, rest, go inside, and fight ruth after about one or two spawns worth of sligs. In Tannim Tunnels, you can rest immediately before fighting the dragon. In Amuria, on the other hand, you have to fight through *three* no rest areas before you even get to the area with the main dragon in it, and all three areas contain seriously challenging encounters (three slig bosses in Seething Pits, a baby dragon in the Abandoned Fort, together with massive mobs of high level slig spellcasters, and two extremely large spawns packed with casters in the Sanctum.) My suggestion would be to insert a small area with no monster spawns where a party can rest between the Abandoned Fort and the Sanctum. That way you have a nice pattern: area with lots of slig mobs, then area with dragon, then rest area, then area with lots of slig mobs, then area with dragon. It's also about the time when casters are really dying to rest (sometimes literally). However, you still have to fight through an entire area of no-rest to get to the area containing the dragon (also no-rest), which still makes it harder than the other two lairs (as it should be).

To me this change would alleviate the need of casters to exit the area half-way through, without making it too easy or ruining the "lair feel", which is consistent with the other lairs.

David

--------------------
Althai / David

"If a 'religion' is defined to be a system of ideas that contains unprovable statements, then G
PMEmail Poster
dave
Posted: Nov 6 2006, 12:53 PM
Quote Post

shad but true

Group: DN Design Lead
Member No.: 78

TBH, the Amuria experience is more the design intent and closer to spec. Making people nervous about how many spells they have left is a part of the point of the design setup.

Jas ignored the design guidelines calling for a set number of no rest areas leading up to dragon lairs in the tannim areas, and we've never been happy with the wandering ai as it works on Ruth in the DSM areas. It makes it a silly place to run after you learn the spawn and patrol patterns.

Anyway, I've yet to run Amuria myself yet since getting it up and playable. I'll see what some of the other designers think in IRC though - thanks. smile.gif I'm a bit worried that the 'ease' of getting ready for dragon fights elsewhere has tipped balance decisions in the dragon designs themselves though, too.

-Dave

--------------------
Dreu Noctem
- featuring arQon's EMS Spell system
- DN Bug reports go here or here!

[12:32] <arQon> i can design a munchkin in 2 minutes, but it takes me hours to pick a name :P
PMUsers Website
Emaleth_Donnelaith
Posted: Nov 6 2006, 02:49 PM
Quote Post

Dragonslayer

Group: DN Dungeon Mistress
Member No.: 59

Personally I think the no rest is good for that area, there is a way to get back out to rest if needed, it just takes a bit of walking. Its a good area with good spawns and respawns so it isn't just a walk-through. I think the planning strategy (i.e., don't use up all your buffs/spells so quickly) works well there and makes it even more challenging (which is the point for more fun for epic players) to try and get through and as I said.. waste not want not :-P.

Sure Dragonshadow has a way to get out.. but due to doors being unbashable before it wasn't as easy as you had to make sure you had a lock picker to unlock the door since it would re-lock on exit most times during the resting. You also have to remember that Ruth wanders...

Having a rest area in Amur would make it too easy to fly through there, and I vote no & to keep it as it is. Dave & Vic did a great job there and putting an 'easy spot' in would decrease the fun. :-)

--------------------
My Alter-Ego's here on Dreu Noctem

DM Avatar - Miss Red Ruby Deelight

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Cuiusvis hominis est errare, nullius nisi insipientis in errore perseverare.
PMEmail PosterMSN
dave
Posted: Nov 6 2006, 02:53 PM
Quote Post

shad but true

There is the longer respawn too. It's really not dangerous to zip out and rest - stuff is supposed to be on 2 hour timers inside lairs. Jas kept the trasitional 5 minute spawns in the tannim area, but the puzzle to grant access to the final chamber requires a bit of back and forth, so it works like such. Yeah?

Different isn't necessarily bad - I kinda of like that the lairs all feel different too in a way.

-Dave

--------------------
Dreu Noctem

[12:32] <arQon> i can design a munchkin in 2 minutes, but it takes me hours to pick a name :P
PMUsers Website
dave
Posted: Oct 7 2009, 05:30 PM
Quote Post

shad but true

FYI, There is a way to rest once you're about half way in now, maybe a little over that.

-Dave

--------------------
Dreu Noctem

PMUsers Website
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
« Next Oldest | DN: The Crossroads - Suggestions and Questions Inbox | Next Newest »

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0246 ]   [ 12 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]