Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Running NWN on ATI/AMD video cards with Win7
arQon
Posted: Dec 13 2014, 12:30 PM
Quote Post

EMS creator and DN Offical Bug Manager

Group: DN Design Lead
Member No.: 297

On 64-bit versions of Win7 (possibly 32-bit ones as well), any version of ATI's drivers later than 9.12 will cause NWN to crash at startup.

The "recommended" workaround for this on the NWN Wikia is to install the 9.12 version of atioglxx.dll in the NWN directory. I've been using that approach for the last year, but it only barely works: the game will still fail to start half the time, and Alt-Tab will always crash it.

After poking around a bit, I finally have an answer: there's a hack in the post-9.12 ATI drivers specifically for NWN (like a Catalyst "Application Settings" entry, but "secret"). And, like an Application Settings entry, it's activated by running "nwmain.exe". Simply copying that file to a different name (e.g. "ati-nwmain.exe") and running that instead results in a rock-solid game even with the much more recent 14.04 drivers.

There is one downside: the built-in hack seems to be there to work around a texture blend bug, so you MUST disable "Environment Mapping on Creatures" in Video Options or everyone will be invisible. In return though, you get a crash-free experience, and can create an Application Settings entry that lets you use 24xEQ edge-detect adaptive multisampling, which is very pretty and doesn't suffer from the blurry text that the game's own AA options cause on ATI hardware.

sidenote> This also fixes the bug with the "invisible human" models used by Blackstaff etc becoming visible in AOEs.

This post has been edited by arQon on Dec 15 2014, 02:28 AM

--------------------
azmaveth> so, for my first stint as a dm, I feel the need to spawn a dragon or two on a party of babies...
dave> go find Kev when he makes his next baby :p
dave> he prolly kill it
PM
dave
Posted: Dec 14 2014, 02:06 AM
Quote Post

shad but true

Member No.: 78

Good stuff - pinned!

-Dave

--------------------
Dreu Noctem
- featuring arQon's EMS Spell system
- DN Bug reports go here or here!

[12:32] <arQon> i can design a munchkin in 2 minutes, but it takes me hours to pick a name :P
PMUsers Website
dave
Posted: Apr 23 2018, 06:20 PM
Quote Post

shad but true

Member No.: 78

Bumped in prep for forum migration.

-Dave

--------------------
Dreu Noctem
- featuring arQon's EMS Spell system
- DN Bug reports go here or here!

[12:32] <arQon> i can design a munchkin in 2 minutes, but it takes me hours to pick a name :P
PMUsers Website
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
« Next Oldest | Server Status and Information | Next Newest »

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0283 ]   [ 12 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]