> On Shifters and Race, And other recent changes
NatNit
Posted: Feb 7 2009, 02:53 PM
Quote Post

Not gnat knit. NatNit!

Group: DN Module Designer
Member No.: 106

Heyo all,

Looking to make a shifter sometime soon, and I had some choices about race selection. Specifically, do racial bonuses and racial bonus feats persist across shapes? I.e. if I went dwarf, would I still keep my +2CON and hardiness vs. spells or whatnot?

Well, that was question 1.

The second question is, last time I played a shifter was ~4 years ago, and I know since then witetower has redone them. Trust me, I've read all the threads on the issue, but the documentation is still a bit lacking. This is the kind of stuff I'd normally discuss with Kev, but meh, he doesn't do shifters. smile.gif

2a) Any info as to the stats of the various shapes that are available? I.e. any special abilities, feats, equipped weapons, etc?

2b) Would weapon focus and imp crit in unarmed strike be useful? Are there many useful unarmed shapes?

Other than that, I'll probably just start one and run with it, but I like to be at least a little prepared. Thanks.

Cheers!

--------------------
NatNit

Currently Playing:

Evelyn Jantiss - L24 Fighter/RDD Half-Orc (with Hayli!)
Gretel Monadnock - L12 Elven Rogue/AA (with Delin!)
Agnil - L6 "Game Night" Human Bard/RDD/CoT
Gaia - L13 Human

PMEmail PosterAOLYahooMSN
arQon
Posted: Feb 7 2009, 10:57 PM
Quote Post

EMS creator and DN Offical Bug Manager

Group: DN Design Lead
Member No.: 297

In a nutshell:

Each level of Shifters generally has 3 shapes. One is Smashy, one is Stabby, and one is Soaky.

Smashy is the Ogre/Giant/Bart/etc. It has a Large weapon (i.e. a two-hander, even if it can actually just use it one-handed because of its size), a bucketload of STR, and poor AC because it's conceptually a char without a shield. IOW, Smashy is a Glass Cannon.

Stabby is the Goblin/Bugbear/Lisa/etc. It has a Small Finessable weapon or occasionally a ranged weapon, and is DEX primary. Stabby has slightly better AC than Smashy because of its uncapped DEX, and either slightly better or slightly worse AB **, but get lower damage in return. Stabby is a typical "balanced" build.
** Stabby does NOT get Weapon Finesse. If you want superior AB in Stabby Shape, YOU buy the feat.

Soaky (generally the "animal shape" in several sets) is CON primary, typically uses a CREATURE weapon of average damage, and gets no AB-stat boost. In return, Soaky gets the the best AC of the bunch, a little DR, and a hefty stack of HP and THP.

(A couple of shifter sets vary on this: IIRC, Formian Shapes are a Smashy Warrior, a Stabby Assassin, and a Ranged, erm, Ranger tongue.gif rather than a Soaky).

Your race does impact how "good" each one is for you to some extent or another, because the shapes that DON'T replace your racial stat mean you earn bonuses in those shapes: Elves and Hobbits will have more AC and better Reflexes in Smashy Shape than non-Elves, Dwarves will have more HP and Fort in Stabby Shape than other races, etc.

Shapes DO NOT get free feats or skill boosts. If you want IKD / Tease / etc, YOU need to take the feat and YOU need the 13 INT required for them. If you want to be sneaky, YOU need to fill Hide/MS, etc, and if you want HIPS YOU have to pay for it with 13+ Natural DEX, Dodge, Mobility, and an SD level.

--------------------
azmaveth> so, for my first stint as a dm, I feel the need to spawn a dragon or two on a party of babies...
dave> go find Kev when he makes his next baby :p
dave> he prolly kill it
PM
arQon
Posted: Feb 7 2009, 11:07 PM
Quote Post

EMS creator and DN Offical Bug Manager

Group: DN Design Lead
Member No.: 297

ALL shifter weapons are mundane. There's a REALLY good reason for this, which is: it makes them use whatever YOUR weapon "is".

So, an Ogre shape will have a Greatsword, but the TYPE of Greatsword, i.e. its +X and +Damage, is determined by what YOU'RE carrying when you shift. If we gave them e.g. Rubicite weapons instead, they'd always be +2 and +Fire, which would mean the entire *shape* would be useless in some places because of NPC DR. This way is better. smile.gif

Unarmed feats are definitely useful. ALL Soaky shapes are unarmed, as are some of the Non-Soaky types in some sets like Great Graveyard.

--------------------
azmaveth> so, for my first stint as a dm, I feel the need to spawn a dragon or two on a party of babies...
dave> go find Kev when he makes his next baby :p
dave> he prolly kill it
PM
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
« Next Oldest | The Achaea Armory - Strategy Forum | Next Newest »

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0318 ]   [ 12 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]