Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> EMS - Bugfixed and PHB-ish magic for NWN
Duster47
Posted: Sep 15 2004, 09:15 AM
Quote Post

Klingons Don't Cuddle

Group: DN Module Designer
Member No.: 83

Back to the Legend Lore & the ability to make an item usable by a different class, race, etc.

Is the success of this ability also tied to the Lore Skill and how many points are invested in it? Do you have to take the Feat to get this ability? I'm thinking along the lines of a Bard who gets great Lore Skills inwhich case this would be quite useful and powerful for the party.

--------------------
'etlhwIj mujatlhvaD

Klingon - My sword shall speak for me.

+++ HouSe of martok +++

muvoQchu' (they have faith in me clearly) - P23/F4 -miner/blacksmith of fine weapons and armor

Sabomchu'meH (I sing clearly for you) - Bard21/Barb2 - tanner/tailor & fletcher

SanejmeH (I search for you) - Bard21 - jeweler, fletcher & alchemist

SateHchu' puqloD Sabomchu'meH je muvoQchu' (I-am-true-to-you-clearly son of Sabomchu'meH and muvoQchu') - Ranger12

bangLi'teH puqbe' Sabomchu'meH je muvoQchu' (love-your-be-true daughter of Sabomchu'meH and muvoQchu') - C5/P1

+++ frienDS of tlhe HouSe of martok +++

jIyoHbej (I be-brave certainly) - Barbarian10/F6 - mercenary
PMEmail Poster
arQon
Posted: Sep 16 2004, 03:43 AM
Quote Post

EMS creator and DN Offical Bug Manager

Group: DN Design Lead
Member No.: 297

Duster: no, it's not tied to Lore, so there's no Bardic Knowledge bonuses.
*Understanding* the item is Lore. *Manipulating* it is magical aptitude.

Em: ideally there'd be feats required. Adding feats is pretty nasty though, and it guarantees that the system WOULDN'T work with CEP or anything else along those lines, so I decided to be generous. I might push it off 2 levels though, yeah.

As Dave points out, other than SR issues, there isn't actually much point to taking a caster past level 21 otherwise except to leverage the (very) few uncapped spells. For high-level builds, Fighter21/Wiz19 is significantly stronger than Wiz21/Fighter19.

I tried to find a nice way to give Sorcs the option of learning more spells, but couldn't come up with one. The engine REALLY isn't designed to go past level 20, except for the melee classes.

There's a switch in the system to disable metaslots if you don't want to use them, but I think it gives casters a strong incentive to BE casters rather than "Fighters who also use magic". You really have to commit to being a magic-user to leverage it: for DN and any "real" mods (as opposed to "who can Munchkin their level 40 best" PvP) giving up even ONE level to another class is a huge sacrifice.

--------------------
azmaveth> so, for my first stint as a dm, I feel the need to spawn a dragon or two on a party of babies...
dave> go find Kev when he makes his next baby :p
dave> he prolly kill it
PM
Torrilin
Posted: Sep 18 2004, 11:56 AM
Quote Post

Member No.: 4

Moved to strategy forum and pinned (until we can come up with something shorter and or clearer).

Kalli
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteAOLYahoo
Rainbow
Posted: Sep 18 2004, 01:12 PM
Quote Post

Extraordinary Trappings

Group: Design Ambassador
Member No.: 283

...have you done any changes to Imp. Invis and Invis?

At the PW I work with... I get so miffed at the people who throw Invis on and run through, bumping past, a dungeon full of creatures.

I'd like it to put a small AoE around the center and if someone enters it they make a silent spot/listen check determining if they know the caster is there or not.

....it's too bad there isn't a skill 'smell.' That makes no sense! There's spot and listen but no smell. Ugh.

--------------------
*takes notes*
PMEmail Poster
arQon
Posted: Sep 18 2004, 01:29 PM
Quote Post

Listen (for sure, and Spot maybe) ALREADY trumps invis.

--------------------
azmaveth> so, for my first stint as a dm, I feel the need to spawn a dragon or two on a party of babies...
dave> he prolly kill it
PM
Torrilin
Posted: Sep 18 2004, 01:39 PM
Quote Post

Member No.: 4

And bioware didn't implement the scent feat.

Kalli
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteAOLYahoo
Duster47
Posted: Sep 18 2004, 02:20 PM
Quote Post

Klingons Don't Cuddle

Member No.: 83

And bioware didn't implement the scent feat.

Gahhh.... that would have been a race-feat for my Klingons! Another opportunity for enhanced RP blown. dry.gif

--------------------
'etlhwIj mujatlhvaD

Klingon - My sword shall speak for me.

+++ HouSe of martok +++

muvoQchu' (they have faith in me clearly) - P23/F4 -miner/blacksmith of fine weapons and armor

Sabomchu'meH (I sing clearly for you) - Bard21/Barb2 - tanner/tailor & fletcher

SanejmeH (I search for you) - Bard21 - jeweler, fletcher & alchemist

SateHchu' puqloD Sabomchu'meH je muvoQchu' (I-am-true-to-you-clearly son of Sabomchu'meH and muvoQchu') - Ranger12

bangLi'teH puqbe' Sabomchu'meH je muvoQchu' (love-your-be-true daughter of Sabomchu'meH and muvoQchu') - C5/P1

+++ frienDS of tlhe HouSe of martok +++

jIyoHbej (I be-brave certainly) - Barbarian10/F6 - mercenary
PMEmail Poster
dave
Posted: Sep 18 2004, 02:22 PM
Quote Post

shad but true

Member No.: 78

Curses. I just bought one of the new ScentBlaster cards with my new machine too. Poopoo! (literally!)

-shad

--------------------
Dreu Noctem
- featuring arQon's EMS Spell system
- DN Bug reports go here or here!

[12:32] <arQon> i can design a munchkin in 2 minutes, but it takes me hours to pick a name :P
PMUsers Website
arQon
Posted: Sep 21 2004, 10:18 AM
Quote Post

Tweaks in the latest version, which is now on DN:

Dispels can also remove GMW/Darkfire/etc, and Morks always do

Tenser's also grants Great Cleave since Cleave is so broken

Blade Barrier now R/L

Invis Sphere now Mass Invis to fix numerous exploits

Imp Invis now genuinely PHB Greater Invis
That means you keep the Invis through castings/attacks, but it only lasts R/L and creatures with True Seeing / See Invis do NOT have a 50% miss chance.

Blackstaff hits cause GDis rather than Dis
So it has a better chance to beat DC, but also it now has a maximum of one effect dispelled per hit

Removed Uncanny Reflex from Premonition sad.gif

Fixes for SOV and Legend Lore

Fixes for the old Tenser's problem, new it has a new one... mad.gif

--------------------
dave> he prolly kill it
PM
arQon
Posted: Sep 24 2004, 03:22 PM
Quote Post

New toys showing up soon:

MassBuff Ability (C6) - W/S get all, D gets all but Fox, B gets all but Fox/Owl, C gets all but Fox/Cat.

Shapechange has undergone a HUGE rewrite.
The spell loss has been fixed (for all classes, not just W) and the broken polymorphs have been fixed (e.g. the Balor now has a Vorpal sword).
Coolest of all, it now includes a custom micro-AI for combat that automatically handles things like power attack for you, since mages won't have the feats normally so they won't have buttons for them. It also enables special abilities for certain shapes, like Dragon Breath and Golem Slam.
It's still not quite where I want it to be yet (Balor needs a bunch of spells, Summon Tanarri, etc) but it's VERY usable now, and the Red Dragon form is just awesome. smile.gif

Grappling Bigbys now retry each round if they miss/fail rather than being wasted.

The issue with Druids and legal but +X armor is fixed (NWN was reporting AC2+3 armor as AC5, and thus not Druid-legal).

--------------------
dave> he prolly kill it
PM
dave
Posted: Sep 25 2004, 07:22 AM
Quote Post

shad but true

This last update went live this morning. There are no scrolls for the Mass Buff spells available in game yet, so wizards can only take those on level up.

-shad

--------------------
Dreu Noctem

[12:32] <arQon> i can design a munchkin in 2 minutes, but it takes me hours to pick a name :P
PMUsers Website
Strider
Posted: Sep 25 2004, 08:11 AM
Quote Post

PowerMuchkinGamer

Member No.: 186

QUOTE (arQon @ Sep 24 2004, 03:22 PM)
Shapechange has undergone a HUGE rewrite.
The spell loss has been fixed (for all classes, not just W) and the broken polymorphs have been fixed (e.g. the Balor now has a Vorpal sword).

Does this fix extend to the Druid/Shifter wild shapes as well?

--------------------
Neil "Strider" Looby
DM Avatar: Zerroffe Traptripper
NWN Screen Shots Gallery
Dreu Noctem Characters

Sometimes you burn a bridge. Othertimes you have to napalm it.
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteICQ
dave
Posted: Sep 25 2004, 08:16 AM
Quote Post

shad but true

It doesn't touch shifters/druids wildshapes. Bioware v1.64 touches them, so fixes are deferred until that is live/solid. We can plan to poke at them after 1.64 with arQon's fixes though, provided we do decide to stick with his system.

-shad

--------------------
Dreu Noctem

PMUsers Website
Chevalis
Posted: Sep 25 2004, 10:49 AM
Quote Post

Greeks Don't Exist

Member No.: 203

QUOTE (arQon @ Sep 24 2004, 03:22 PM)
New toys showing up soon:

MassBuff Ability (C6) - W/S get all, D gets all but Fox, B gets all but Fox/Owl, C gets all but Fox/Cat.

Hmm could you build a domain check into this for clerics?? I know some domains give clerics Cat's...

By the way I am ask if its possible not suggesting it should be done...

*still has alot to experiment with to learn game balance* biggrin.gif

--------------------

"... I see with eyes of a hunter,____________________"...Do you feel scared, to feel so much,
No one can escape..._____________________________To let somebody touch you,
I'm a devil of an
archer,_____________________i______So hot, so cold, so far so out of control
For you its too late..."
_____________________________Hard to come by, and harder to hold.."

--apologises to Funker Vogt

do not meddle in the affairs of DRAGONS for you are CRUNCHY & taste good with ketchup!!
PMEmail Poster
dave
Posted: Sep 25 2004, 02:05 PM
Quote Post

shad but true

If we edit domains.2da, and distribute it in a HAK to players, then yeah, it can be done. We had discussed it and nixed the idea though in IRC, IIRC. ohmy.gif

We have had a number of proposals behind the scenes with respect to adding new domains for DN1/DN2, including some kinda neat newish abilities and/or domain spells, but there are some flaky things about them [technically] that have historically turned us away from the idea. There are a few things on nwvault that toy with domain spells, if you want to check them out.

We had settled privately on a different course of action to round out some of the domains that are underplayed. We haven't had time to implement it (was proposed design side in May), though some of the infrastructure is in place. The idea was to boost certain domain spells a bit for clerics who take DN deities with the proper alignment and domains.

Anyway, I think the domains that grant cats (animal, maybe war?) are already a couple of the best ones there are, FWIW. Do clerics get Mass Cats with any domains in PnP?

-shad

--------------------
Dreu Noctem

PMUsers Website
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
« Next Oldest | The Achaea Armory - Strategy Forum | Next Newest »

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0349 ]   [ 12 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]