Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> My Other Hobby, Has been keeping me busy
Duster47
Posted: Apr 1 2006, 07:51 PM
Quote Post

Klingons Don't Cuddle

Group: DN Module Designer
Member No.: 83

I have been spending a great deal of my free time working on models again instead of DN. There is a local model show and I am using this deadline to focus my efforts to actually finish something.

First up is my Star Trek Deep Space Nine, U.S.S. Defiant. When built, it should look something like this:
user posted image

Here is the model painted its base light-gray with some areas masked off and the rest covered with wax paper. The painting diagram is next to it showing six major colors in various odd patches. This will take awhile.
user posted image

Here it is with about three colored done with more tape and less wax paper. It takes 2 to 6 hours to mask off each color area.
user posted image

Finally finished major painting and down to detail work. It is still covered to protect it from finger prints and dings.
user posted image

Next up is a T-28C Trojan airplane from mid-60's in Viet Nam as flown by the VNAF. When finished it will look something like this:
user posted image

Here is the basic model with primer paint on the seams to detect flaws. Light, flat gray is best for this. The white inside the wheel wells is what I made with sheet plastic, which beats a big whole.
user posted image

Here it is with main painting complete, Next up will be cockpit detail painting. Its two rocket pods are in the background.
user posted image

The last entry is the easiest. An USArmy WW2, M1 105 mm howiter. Painted in its basic olive drab with black tires. It will get a wash-coat of "dirt" next.
user posted image

--------------------
'etlhwIj mujatlhvaD

Klingon - My sword shall speak for me.

+++ HouSe of martok +++

muvoQchu' (they have faith in me clearly) - P23/F4 -miner/blacksmith of fine weapons and armor

Sabomchu'meH (I sing clearly for you) - Bard21/Barb2 - tanner/tailor & fletcher

SanejmeH (I search for you) - Bard21 - jeweler, fletcher & alchemist

SateHchu' puqloD Sabomchu'meH je muvoQchu' (I-am-true-to-you-clearly son of Sabomchu'meH and muvoQchu') - Ranger12

bangLi'teH puqbe' Sabomchu'meH je muvoQchu' (love-your-be-true daughter of Sabomchu'meH and muvoQchu') - C5/P1

+++ frienDS of tlhe HouSe of martok +++

jIyoHbej (I be-brave certainly) - Barbarian10/F6 - mercenary
PMEmail Poster
Jabronius
Posted: Apr 3 2006, 06:48 AM
Quote Post

Group: Dreu Noctem Player
Member No.: 488

Next up is a T-28C Trojan airplane from mid-60's in Viet Nam as flown by the VNAF. When finished it will look something like this:

Man, that model's huge! How are you ever going to get it to the show?

Kidding. Good luck, and don't inhale too many paint fumes.
PMEmail Poster
Duster47
Posted: Apr 17 2006, 06:46 AM
Quote Post

Klingons Don't Cuddle

First, the great unvailing of the tape/wax-paper covered Defiant, now cloaked!
user posted image
Seriously, this is just the stand, which I may actually enter into the contest if I do not finish the rest of it in time. blink.gif

With the cloak off, the top:
user posted image
You can see the complicated paint-scheme. Unfortunately, the tape pulled some of the gap-fill-putty out of the huge seams and now I have a few patch-jobs to do. wacko.gif

And the bottom:
user posted image

The 105 mm howiter is essentially complete. All it lacks is the lanyard cord that fires it.
user posted image

The T-28 is coming along nicely although it does not look much different. The cockpit, wheel-wells, tires, bombs, engine, etc. are all painted and the whole thing has been clear-coated with Future floor polish. Highlighting with medium gray will come next and then decals. I should finish this for the contest in two weeks.
user posted image

--------------------
'etlhwIj mujatlhvaD

+++ HouSe of martok +++

muvoQchu' (they have faith in me clearly) - P23/F4 -miner/blacksmith of fine weapons and armor

SateHchu' puqloD Sabomchu'meH je muvoQchu' (I-am-true-to-you-clearly son of Sabomchu'meH and muvoQchu') - Ranger12

bangLi'teH puqbe' Sabomchu'meH je muvoQchu' (love-your-be-true daughter of Sabomchu'meH and muvoQchu') - C5/P1

PMEmail Poster
Strider
Posted: Apr 17 2006, 04:03 PM
Quote Post

PowerMuchkinGamer

Member No.: 186

Nice work bud, I especialy like the detailing on the "Cloaked" defiant. tongue.gif

Every few years I spend half a year doing models and miniature painting. smile.gif I don't have a spray brush tho. I really should finnish my Starfury model... It's been sitting for almost 3 years now at the "nearly done" stage...

--------------------
Neil "Strider" Looby
DM Avatar: Zerroffe Traptripper
NWN Screen Shots Gallery
Dreu Noctem Characters

Sometimes you burn a bridge. Othertimes you have to napalm it.
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteICQ
Duster47
Posted: Apr 28 2006, 10:32 PM
Quote Post

Klingons Don't Cuddle

Finally, yes finally, finished the airplane. Forgive the color balance issues but it is supposed to be FS36622 (Camo-gray) but with the lighting it was badly yellow-shifted and I am not sure I really fixed it well with Photoshop.
user posted image
Isometric view. It has markings from the VNAF 2nd Fighter Squadron, 1962.
user posted image
Top view showing the cockpit.
user posted image
It is armed with two .50-cal gun pods, two LAU-3 rocket pods, and two 250-lb bombs. The wheel wells were all filled in from being gaping holes.

Anyway, wish me good luck for the contest. biggrin.gif

--------------------
'etlhwIj mujatlhvaD

+++ HouSe of martok +++

PMEmail Poster
Duster47
Posted: Apr 30 2006, 03:51 PM
Quote Post

Klingons Don't Cuddle

Drat! Nothing. dry.gif About 120 people entered about 750 models in maybe 50 categories. I did receive many compliments on the T-28. The main obstacle to winning these things (aside for skill) is starting with an expensive ($30) modern-tech kit (excellent molds, recessed panel lines, etc.) and not a $10 one first issued in the late-60's. Better luck next year! And maybe I will finish my Defiant by then. blink.gif

I did buy a nice, out-of-production since ~ 1975 Japanese Navy "Pete" WW2 bi-plane with floats. So much for new, high-tech. tongue.gif

--------------------
'etlhwIj mujatlhvaD

+++ HouSe of martok +++

PMEmail Poster
althai
Posted: Jun 3 2006, 06:57 AM
Quote Post

Bug Hunter

Group: DN Dungeon Master
Member No.: 124

What kind of freak paints models all day?

Oh, right. Me. Some of mine:

user posted image user posted image

A bit smaller, and pewter instead of plastic, but similar idea.

As for the contest, good luck next year! You should try doing weathering effects on your plane (or if you did, make them less subtle - they don't show up in your pics at all). I know Tamiya sells some kits for this, which might do things you can't do with a wash.

David

--------------------
Althai / David

"If a 'religion' is defined to be a system of ideas that contains unprovable statements, then G
PMEmail Poster
Duster47
Posted: Jun 3 2006, 10:23 AM
Quote Post

Klingons Don't Cuddle

Those are quite nice Althai. How tall is she?

The T-28 actually is weathered with a little-bit darker-gray than the base color. When I finish it again with the upgraded landing gear I will get some close-ups that will better show the weathering.

--------------------
'etlhwIj mujatlhvaD

+++ HouSe of martok +++

PMEmail Poster
Duster47
Posted: Jun 3 2006, 12:27 PM
Quote Post

Klingons Don't Cuddle

My other, recently completed diversion was this:

user posted image
This is my squad in Dungeon Siege SP-campaign. My PC is the hulking dude on point with the heavy armor and even heavier hammer. The packmules are a great idea for lugging loot. If you have not tried DS, it is quite pretty and D2-like (very smashy) but without quest-rewards. The goblin cave with the little wooden Mechwarrior-looking machines was a hoot!

user posted image
Here they bash the final boss creature, who turns into this ...

user posted image
Who required a great deal of bashing whilst the two casters kept the rest of the squad alive.

user posted image
Victory!!

Now I am becoming interested in some kind of WW2 total-war campaign thing; something like the old Avalon Hill board-game Blitzkreig. Or perhaps a tactical-tank game with a build-your-own scenario capability. Suggestions ... tongue.gif

--------------------
'etlhwIj mujatlhvaD

+++ HouSe of martok +++

PMEmail Poster
Talon
Posted: Jun 3 2006, 04:39 PM
Quote Post

Just Pancakes

Group: Dreu Noctem Player
Member No.: 168

RTS or RPG?(for the WWII thing)

FPS?

--------------------
Semi-retired:
Hawk Barbarian 1/Cleric 17/Fighter 4-Weaponsmith
Silk Fighter 7/Rogue 8/Weapon Master 7
Electra Monk 23
Hanto Sorcerer 21
Hakel Axewielder Fighter 9/Dwarven Defender 2
Aleanna Bard 5/Fighter 4/Arcane Archer 2
PMEmail Poster
Duster47
Posted: Jun 3 2006, 05:15 PM
Quote Post

Klingons Don't Cuddle

QUOTE (Talon @ Jun 3 2006, 06:39 PM)
RTS or RPG?(for the WWII thing)

FPS?

RTS!

--------------------
'etlhwIj mujatlhvaD

+++ HouSe of martok +++

PMEmail Poster
althai
Posted: Jun 3 2006, 07:41 PM
Quote Post

Bug Hunter

Group: DN Dungeon Master
Member No.: 124

QUOTE (Duster47 @ Jun 3 2006, 11:23 AM)
Those are quite nice Althai.  How tall is she?

The T-28 actually is weathered with a little-bit darker-gray than the base color.  When I finish it again with the upgraded landing gear I will get some close-ups that will better show the weathering.

Cool, I'll be looking forward to them!

Measuring from feet to top of head (i.e. not counting the base) she's 32mm. So depending on your resolution and monitor size, probably about a third the height you see her here.

David

P.S. If you're really curious, you can see more of them here.

--------------------
Althai / David

"If a 'religion' is defined to be a system of ideas that contains unprovable statements, then G
PMEmail Poster
Duster47
Posted: Oct 24 2006, 05:41 PM
Quote Post

Klingons Don't Cuddle

I have not added to this in a long while. I have been busy with RL and my other hobby while occasionally dropping in on DN (muvoqchu' finally made L27 biggrin.gif ). Anyway, a model update is in order.

First, I packed up the Defiant again for awhile. When I pealed the tape off of it the last time a few chunks of filler pulled out - again - so I decided I would save it for later. The 105 mm now has a six-person crew and I made 2-dozen ammo-boxes from wood. Making the diorama base will be next, but then ....

After some additional research, I decided to re-work the landing gear on the T-28 plus a few tweeks to the finish. Here is the final result. A nice top-shot:
user posted image
The bottom; note the wheel-well details - this is completely scratch-built as the kit had big holes where the wheels folded up into.
user posted image
Last, and artsy picture. I just need to paste it into a runway shot with SE Asia jungle background.
user posted image

I decided to build something straight-from-the-box. There will be minimal mod's to the basic kit so I choose an old, but nice, Tamiya Nakajima A6M2N "Rufe" which is a "Zero" with floats. The engine and cockpit are finished. Next will come painting - another basic light gray overall per 1942 specs.
user posted image
Here is an attempt at a cockpit close-up. Non-SLR digital cameras are not really meant for such close-up work ....
user posted image

--------------------
'etlhwIj mujatlhvaD

+++ HouSe of martok +++

PMEmail Poster
Strider
Posted: Oct 25 2006, 05:36 PM
Quote Post

PowerMuchkinGamer

Member No.: 186

I recently completed a long standing unfinished model of mine. Not to Chuck's quality rating, but my concern was to get it done. smile.gif The rear engine compartment in paticular could use some attention...

It's a Starfury from Babylon 5:

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

--------------------
Neil "Strider" Looby
DM Avatar: Zerroffe Traptripper
NWN Screen Shots Gallery
Dreu Noctem Characters

Sometimes you burn a bridge. Othertimes you have to napalm it.
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteICQ
Duster47
Posted: Nov 12 2006, 11:35 AM
Quote Post

Klingons Don't Cuddle

Nice looking Starfury, Neil. I made it a point to watch each and every B5 episode (sometimes it was not easy). I always did enjoy the space-part because they at least tried to follow the rules of Newtonian physics.

Oh, I have resumed playing Guild Wars now for most of my on-line spare time. It is a beautiful game but I am pretty much playing as if it is a SP game. The NPC interaction is pretty poor so I just explore and quest and explore some more. Have a mid-12 Ftr/Rngr who is pretty good with an axe.

And the Rufe is moving along slowly but surely with some partial painting complete. RL is getting too much in the way of having fun.

--------------------
'etlhwIj mujatlhvaD

+++ HouSe of martok +++

PMEmail Poster
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
« Next Oldest | The Cafe Whim - Pictures and Screenshots | Next Newest »

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0329 ]   [ 12 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]