Dreu Noctem

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> [BW 1.69] Losing/Gaining armor when crafting, Bioware bug - requires attention
Maerlande
Posted: Feb 21 2005, 10:51 PM
Quote Post

The Hard One

Group: Dreu Noctem Player
Member No.: 335

BUG REPORT
=============

Bug Reported By: Maerlande

Date: Feb 21, 2005

Witnesses, if any: arQon, Shadguy, Torrilin, phage I think

Area(s) Bug Observed In: VoS

What character were you playing: Dagmaer

Please describe your observations: I was playing with crafting armour (BW) while chatting. Just looking at torso options but not accepting any. I then aborted and my armour was destroyed. I recieved the Item Lost: Monks Armour - Silver message and it was gone. I did not recieve a skill check so obviously I did not fail the skill.

Why do you think it's a bug: Doesn't seem right to lose the item in crafting when you choose not to proceed. And without a skill check.

Steps needed to reproduce the bug (what were you doing at the time of the bug, and in the time before noticing the bug): Not sure. Expensive to test atm smile.gif Maybe I'll try with some junk later.

Questions related to the bug for the build team: Don't worry too much about it. It's not like I'm terribly concerned about the function of craft armour.

Other player comments:

===============
This section is for Admin use only. Do not fill this section in.

Search keywords:

Bug Status:
Review the complete topic (launches new window)

--------------------
Lil'Higgy: *runs back to group at max speed* "Oh wait, I found more. Oh I forgot! Did I tell you about my mom's pies?" *runs ahead again*

Adonis: "Higgy! Would you shut up?"

Lil'Higgy: "Oh sure! dum dee dum dee da da doo" *hums madly*
PMEmail PosterICQMSN
digitalAngst
Posted: Feb 22 2005, 06:04 AM
Quote Post

10110011 01001101

Member No.: 368

I've seen that happening too, though only once in about a dozen appearance-changes. To me it appears to be a connection problem, i.e. the packet that gives the armor back to you is dropped.

HTH, dA.
PMEmail Poster
dave
Posted: Feb 22 2005, 06:20 AM
Quote Post

shad but true

Group: DN Design Lead
Member No.: 78

Thanks for the report Don. There may be a connection to the Misc hak as well. Some of the Robe Haks we added included 2das for armorparts, and I didn't delve too deeply into them. Looks like I'll have to do that. :-)

I'm going to suggest that people experiment with replaceable stuff before crafting anything valuable, and avoid crafting irreplaceable legacy gear for now. I'll poke at this next weekend.

-shad

--------------------
Dreu Noctem
- featuring arQon's EMS Spell system
- DN Bug reports go here or here!

[12:32] <arQon> i can design a munchkin in 2 minutes, but it takes me hours to pick a name :P
PMUsers Website
dave
Posted: Feb 22 2005, 09:36 AM
Quote Post

shad but true

I've done a bit of reading on this; it looks like maybe Bioware's armor crafting scripts are 2DA driven, and possibly not able to deal with properly padded 2DAs built to add new content. Our 2DAs are properly padded [to Bioware specs] to add a few things to support some new robe models.

I'll look at adjusting some of those scripts when I enable the new robe models to see if that helps.

There could be some other issues too - dunno yet. The custom content (HAKs) related to this stuff is properly built to spec. If we need to violate best practices to fix armor crafting, then we'll try that with the next HAK release, but first I'll try a scripted fix. [probably next weekend]

-shad

--------------------
Dreu Noctem

[12:32] <arQon> i can design a munchkin in 2 minutes, but it takes me hours to pick a name :P
PMUsers Website
Maerlande
Posted: Feb 22 2005, 09:49 AM
Quote Post

The Hard One

Well, last night after a game I had a theory. It's very simple. The BW crafting script appears to remove the item from you during the crafting attempt while you play with the item. It then appears to put in back on you if cancelled or successful. This items blueprint has changed. Perhaps when it went to put it back on Dagmaer it found incompatible blueprint from the specs of the item and couldn't replace it. Just a guess.

--------------------
Lil'Higgy: *runs back to group at max speed* "Oh wait, I found more. Oh I forgot! Did I tell you about my mom's pies?" *runs ahead again*

PMEmail PosterICQMSN
dave
Posted: Feb 22 2005, 10:21 AM
Quote Post

shad but true

Ahh.

In that case, there ain't much we can do. If the blueprint no longer exists for a legacy piece of gear, I guess you can't craft it without losing it. That kinda makes sense. I'll still poke at the scripts a bit to see if a minor tweak to address this is feasible, but I'm not going to put a lot of time into this if there's no simple fix.

-shad

--------------------
Dreu Noctem

PMUsers Website
Truth
Posted: Feb 22 2005, 01:58 PM
Quote Post

Member No.: 359

The issue only occurs if you Abort from the parts menu. If you abort from the Yes, start crafting menu- No I've changed my mind menu you do not lose the item.

--------------------
Queen of the liquid buffs!
PMEmail Poster
dave
Posted: Feb 22 2005, 02:05 PM
Quote Post

shad but true

Thanks Truth. I've been poking around a bit - there are lots of people with opinions on ways to improve on the BW crafting systems - but again, it looks like something that you can spend a lot of time working on for very marginal improvements.

Unless someone gives me a reason to go close some of the exploits associated with teh bw scripts, I'm just going to defer changes to this stuff indefinitely.

/moved to Deferred bugs forum.

Ignore my comments about 2da driven stuff causing problems above.

Workaround: Don't use ESC to exit out of a crafting menu dialog. Follow the menu options.

-shad

--------------------
Dreu Noctem

PMUsers Website
Maerlande
Posted: Feb 23 2005, 10:44 AM
Quote Post

The Hard One

Dave, just to clarify. I didn't use escape. It was a dialog option to "Abort"

--------------------

PMEmail PosterICQMSN
Truth
Posted: Feb 23 2005, 02:56 PM
Quote Post

Member No.: 359

You used abort from the menu that lists types of changes, right?
Next time proceed all the way to the Yes, start crafting message then say No.

--------------------
Queen of the liquid buffs!
PMEmail Poster
dave
Posted: Mar 24 2009, 05:15 AM
Quote Post

shad but true

Moved to the regular bug forum from the deferred bug forum.

-Dave

--------------------
Dreu Noctem

PMUsers Website
dave
Posted: Nov 12 2014, 08:02 PM
Quote Post

shad but true

For ref, notes on the CPP craft duping fix:

http://forum.bioware.com/topic/246962-comm...7#entry17727571

So, to summarize, Shadow believes you cannot close the duping exploit without NWNX. His workaround is to tag dupes and then cleanup "later". That isn't perfect, but it is better than the BW state.

-Dave

--------------------
Dreu Noctem

PMUsers Website
dave
Posted: Feb 21 2018, 06:43 AM
Quote Post

shad but true

I've submitted a fix for this that seems to work locally. We'll see what happens when we try it on the server.

-Dave

--------------------
Dreu Noctem

PMUsers Website
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
« Next Oldest | DN: The Shifting Sands - Bug & Exploit Reports | Next Newest »

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0405 ]   [ 12 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]