Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> NWN Enhanced edition
dave
Posted: Jan 6 2018, 03:28 AM
Quote Post

shad but true

Group: DN Design Lead
Member No.: 78

It looks like someone is giving away 15 copies of NWNEE over here. Post in that thread for a chance to win, it looks like. I've already bought in, so I am not participating, but I figured someone else over here may want a shot at a freebie.

-Dave

--------------------
Dreu Noctem
- featuring arQon's EMS Spell system
- DN Bug reports go here or here!

[12:32] <arQon> i can design a munchkin in 2 minutes, but it takes me hours to pick a name :P
PMUsers Website
dave
Posted: Feb 9 2018, 09:19 PM
Quote Post

shad but true

Check out the new Aribeth model, side buy side with the old, posted here:

http://blog.beamdog.com/2018/02/nwnee-8157...atch-notes.html

There's a new EE beta version out today. Based on the twitch video session beamdog hosted today, it sounds like they're planning to redo a lot of the character modelling. They're also starting to show off the new effects possible with normal and specular maps - some of the stuff is easier to see in video than in screencaps, so the twitch for today's session is worth a look if that is interesting.

It sounds like NWNEE is coming to Steam and the Steam Workshop, too, soon.

-Dave

--------------------
Dreu Noctem

[12:32] <arQon> i can design a munchkin in 2 minutes, but it takes me hours to pick a name :P
PMUsers Website
arQon
Posted: Feb 10 2018, 02:04 AM
Quote Post

EMS creator and DN Offical Bug Manager

Member No.: 297

honestly, i prefer the old one, by a lot. the hair on the new version has that horrible "plastic" look like it was a figurine. still, progress of a sort, i suppose. smile.gif

--------------------
azmaveth> so, for my first stint as a dm, I feel the need to spawn a dragon or two on a party of babies...
dave> go find Kev when he makes his next baby :p
dave> he prolly kill it
PM
dave
Posted: Feb 10 2018, 05:48 PM
Quote Post

shad but true

I agree about the art direction. They did say they might not be done and wanted to play with her hair more.

I think the main takeaway though, if we disregard art style, is the technical advances are happening. They are talking about redoing all of the character art assets and models, and calling Aribeth proof of concept. She was an interesting testbench as she is a hybrid model in the original game - somewhat parts based, somewhat a unique model - but if you look at the video of the new model running around fighting the player in their twitchcast yesterday, the whole thing looks a lot more like a character and a lot less like a marionette with individual independent parts. It sounds like they plan to redo all of the armor/heads/PC-like models at some point, and then provide an option for players to chooce old models or "high-fidelity models" (ie new ones).

I dunno how far to expect them to go with things like tileset and placeable and monster models and textures. I guess, once feature set goals are solid, maybe they can script some things and throw artists at others and try to get a reasonable mix in place for what makes sense.

-Dave

--------------------
Dreu Noctem

PMUsers Website
arQon
Posted: Feb 10 2018, 11:48 PM
Quote Post

EMS creator and DN Offical Bug Manager

Member No.: 297

thanks for mentioning the video - i hadn't looked at any of those.

definitely some nice improvements on the way.

--------------------
azmaveth> so, for my first stint as a dm, I feel the need to spawn a dragon or two on a party of babies...
dave> go find Kev when he makes his next baby :p
dave> he prolly kill it
PM
dave
Posted: Mar 1 2018, 11:13 PM
Quote Post

shad but true

Folks who are participating in the Head start via BeamDog (ie beta program) can now get Steam keys to play through Steam. Ultimately, the game will have Steam support and workshop report too - some folks are already releasing content into that. I've never used it but it sounds spiffy, and BeamDog is hoping to set everything up so that ultimately, players won't have to manually manage HAKs - stuff will be downloaded and installed on connecting to a server. So, there's a lot of moving parts there for them to sort out between now and release.

In addition, those playing through Steam can see more intermediate betas now. They are calling this a "Developmental Branch" program, and I've seen it calleed "a beta for our betas". More info here:

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/69316...t-branch#latest

I'll probably figure out how to get setup for Steam so I can look at what people have deployed for the Workshop, but I'll stick with the less frequent/more stable nwnee releases. At the moment, I'm focused more on our mod than on the NWNee anyway, and I think this month I need to pull back a bit to deal with more RL stuff, too. We'll see how it shakes out.

-Dave

--------------------
Dreu Noctem

PMUsers Website
dave
Posted: Mar 10 2018, 03:29 AM
Quote Post

shad but true

Alright, based on feature announcements coming out of Beamdog, I figured they'd either release soon and keep patching, or take forever before making a retail release. Today, they announced their official release date as March 27th. So, I guess we've selected our feature set and are going to regress for a couple weeks and ship it.

Now, it sounds like the main art assets slated for rework (ie model and texture updates, as opposed to just updating the existing engine) is only planned for the player body & armor parts. Tilesets, placeables, monsters, etc don't sound like we're even fully committed to for updates.

The video + blog announcing the release is here: http://blog.beamdog.com/2018/03/march-9-li...ream-recap.html

If you don't read the blog, it is still worth scrolling down to see some before/after pics with updated art assets. All the pics are using the same, new/nwnee upgraded engine, but the after pics have updated models and textures sitting in the override to demo the upgraded look and feel that is possible.

If you look at the screenies of the hall of justice, take a moment to compare the two statues holding shields in fron of themselves. The one on the right with the more metallic looking shield is the original model and textures as displayed by the new engine. The one on the left with the carved engravings on the shield is new take on the model, upgraded to take advantage of the updated nwnee capabilities.

So, all of our hakstuff should work fine in the updated game, but all of it would also benefit from a facelift someday. Oy.

We have done some work towards updating our server to support nwnee. I haven't pushed it too hard as we didn't have any real schedules from BeamDog. We'll re-examine our plans and figure out what we're doing. smile.gif

-Dave

--------------------
Dreu Noctem

PMUsers Website
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
« Next Oldest | The AFK Lounge - Community Discussion and Off Topic Chatter | Next Newest »

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0384 ]   [ 12 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]