Dreu Noctem

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> NWN Enhanced - Mar 27 release (Tuesday), ~DN update timetable feedback invited~
dave
  Posted: Mar 25 2018, 08:19 AM
Quote Post

shad but true

Group: DN Design Lead
Member No.: 78

NWNEE will be officially on sale (retail'ish) this Tuesday MArch 27th. There will be an online launch party and stream. Some details are here:

http://blog.beamdog.com/2018/03/join-party...ng-special.html

I have a day job though, hehe.

--

Based on our Poll Results we are planning on moving to NWNEE at some point and we have been slowly tinkering in the background on an updated server. I have been focused on testing things and wrapping up a couple existing projects moreso than the transition, but will probably shift focus onto updating soon.

Does anyone have strong opinions on how quickly or how slowly they'd like to move? I'm particularly thinking of Kathy; I have no problem with delaying our update a while in order to accommodate her or others. I figure I'll need some time to get new stuff up and running anyway, so we won't be transitioning right away at any rate. That said, I won't build in any extra delay beyond my own unless someone asks for it. :-)

Thoughts/feedback/opinions welcome and invited. smile.gif

-Dave

--------------------
Dreu Noctem
- featuring arQon's EMS Spell system
- DN Bug reports go here or here!

[12:32] <arQon> i can design a munchkin in 2 minutes, but it takes me hours to pick a name :P
PMUsers Website
Strider
Posted: Mar 27 2018, 07:56 PM
Quote Post

PowerMuchkinGamer

Group: DN Module Designer
Member No.: 186

I'll buy the game then log in once DN is converted. smile.gif

--------------------
Neil "Strider" Looby
DM Avatar: Zerroffe Traptripper
NWN Screen Shots Gallery
Dreu Noctem Characters

Sometimes you burn a bridge. Othertimes you have to napalm it.
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteICQ
Tamur
Posted: Mar 30 2018, 02:28 PM
Quote Post

Tysk

Member No.: 94

I bought the game because the old version is glitchy as heck on my Win 10, and the first thing I thought of was: I wonder if DN is still around? I wonder if they're going to support EE?

Looks like #1 is true. And after 12 years or so, I can wait a little longer for #2.

--------------------
Miller stressed exercise should not be replaced with laughter, but did recommend people try to laugh about 15 minutes a day in conjunction with thirty minutes of exercise three times a week. - 8 Mar 2005, Halifax Live
PMEmail PosterYahoo
arQon
Posted: Mar 30 2018, 05:01 PM
Quote Post

EMS creator and DN Offical Bug Manager

Member No.: 297

you're probably not the only one thinking along those lines, tamur - i saw temo on here a couple of days ago as well.

the world's grown quite a bit, but in some ways the biggest change is really how much the "old" things have been improved. SO many annoyances have been squashed here over the years (eg automatic looting of corpses etc, by item type, so wizards take GP and scrolls but leave heavy stuff for the packmule) that the "Quality of Life" is miles ahead of what nwn used to be like. smile.gif

--------------------
azmaveth> so, for my first stint as a dm, I feel the need to spawn a dragon or two on a party of babies...
dave> go find Kev when he makes his next baby :p
dave> he prolly kill it
PM
Tamur
Posted: Mar 30 2018, 05:43 PM
Quote Post

Tysk

My daughter got into playing Guild Wars 2 a couple of months ago, and along with justly calling it Fashion Wars you could also call it Inventory Wars. So much junk! So auto-loot that makes sense really sounds great.

I'm excited to get in and explore sometime soon.

--------------------
Miller stressed exercise should not be replaced with laughter, but did recommend people try to laugh about 15 minutes a day in conjunction with thirty minutes of exercise three times a week. - 8 Mar 2005, Halifax Live
PMEmail PosterYahoo
dave
Posted: Mar 30 2018, 07:41 PM
Quote Post

shad but true

Sean, holy cow, there's a blast from the past! Good to see you!.

How old is your little? Mine daughter will be 6 (six!) this summer. I've poked GW1 and GW2 a bit, but otherwise been here the whole time. smile.gif

RE: NWNEE - we're working on it. smile.gif

If you have access to the server admin forum, you can see the ugly detail sof progress there. I'm not sure the DM group has access, but it's easy enough to add access if you want, too. tongue.gif

-Dave

--------------------
Dreu Noctem

[12:32] <arQon> i can design a munchkin in 2 minutes, but it takes me hours to pick a name :P
PMUsers Website
Tamur
Posted: Mar 30 2018, 08:36 PM
Quote Post

Tysk

Sorry... did I just read you have a daughter?! *waits for the world to end*

We still have two younger ones at home -- 11 yr old daughter, and a 4 yr old son. My wife is kinda kid-crazy. No more though!

I can see the DM/Builder fora but not Admin. I'd be curious to see what sorts of changes this EE version is requiring if you feel like granting me access, though I'm not sure I can contribute much currently. I started fiddling around with the toolset pretty immediately, but have forgotten a lot (including what a PITA resrefs are).

Ever hear from Vicki/evap? Her daughter's gotta be well into her 20's by now... time flies.

--------------------
PMEmail PosterYahoo
dave
Posted: Mar 30 2018, 11:28 PM
Quote Post

shad but true

Yup. I am a dad, somehow.

I don't see the thread where I posted these, but here is some very old evidence I found in the screenshots dir on the server lol:

user posted image user posted image
user posted image user posted image

If you're interested in something more recent, and if you're on facebook (we use it to stay in touch with grandmas, as no family is in Texas with us), send me a PM with contact info and I'll reply in kind. That little girl rides bikes now and we just recently rescued a great dane to add to the family.

--

I've bumped you back into the Designer user group from the DM one. I think you can see the server admin forums from there.

If you grab the HAKs and TLK and the v1.69 module from the server, you could play the enhanced edition locally on your network with your daughter now, though the database stuff wouldn't work to remember quest states etc across resets. It may work for saved games. Alternatively, you can load up the mod in the NWNee toolset as is and poke around. I expect a lot will look very familiar yet slightly different than you may recall.

Our Enhanced Edition status in a nutshell:

1) Enigma spun us up a new linux server on Digital Ocean; our old one is a 6-7 year old AWS instance
2) DN runs fine on enhanced edition without changes, but again, the database stuff isn't quite ready yet, and we've done nothing to leverage new features; Enhanced Edition does fix a number of graphical issues with alpha textures.
3) NWNX (the MySQL database support) is coming along
4) We don't want to transition the game server without also transitioning the forums - all should be on the same machine. Much work to do there. I'm also pondering using different forum software, since free IPBoard has been unsupported for about a decade and a half. I dunno if I'll try to just move what we have first and then shop around or if I'll get ambitious or what.

Game-wise, most of the testing we've done on NWNee was to verify fixes or report bugs of known issues inherited from Bioware. We haven't really played a ton to see what new stuff breaks. So, mileage may vary lol.

Don't worry about feeling pressured to contribute - I'm information sharing to keep you interested so we can hopefully see you in game sometime. We did remove DMFI as it was having issues and we haven't had an active DM in a decade. We do have a lot of custom chat-driven utilities instead, which are more builder than DM-oriented, but I figured I should give fair warning there. BTW, Kev and I play most Monday evenings, 8pm CST ish. With henchies, we play through the whole world in 3-4 months per party. Everyone is welcome/invited to join whenever, but for now we're still playing on the v1.69 legacy Bioware glitchy version.

-Dave

--------------------
Dreu Noctem

PMUsers Website
Tamur
Posted: Mar 31 2018, 04:34 AM
Quote Post

Tysk

Thanks for the pics, that is just amazing, and wonderful. Looks like she got her hair from Mom. Does she show any signs of being a RP'er? smile.gif

My 11 yr old daughter, since the day she was born, is always finding something to laugh about, and she thinks the goofy things that happen during tabletop D&D are hilarious. So I'm running a campaign for her and her friends. Kids are a lot of work, but there are payoffs like that.

Thanks also for the info on progress & the module. I've started downloading & setting up files -- it's a little daunting! But I am really itching to get in there and play/poke around, so it'll happen soon. Will report back as I get going here.

--------------------
PMEmail PosterYahoo
dave
Posted: Mar 31 2018, 05:43 PM
Quote Post

shad but true

QUOTE (Tamur @ Mar 30 2018, 11:34 PM)
Does she show any signs of being a RP'er? smile.gif

Possibly maybe. Her music teacher wanted her in the front row during their kindergarten musical performance (she loves singing and dancing). Yesterday, I was sitting out front with the dog watching Stell play, and she wanted to roleplay "being a neighbor coming to say hi to the dog and ask if she could pet her".

Super cute, but there's signs of maybe, though we're mostly young and silly for now. smile.gif She and I are good at being silly and making each other laugh (and making mom roll the eyes). Your 11-yo sounds marvelous. smile.gif

FYI, I've copied your server vault to the new DN Migration Test server. As of yet, I only run it for a few minutes at a time when testing specifics, but maybe I'll work on the scripts to keep it running and self-restarting soon. The firewall is up, so there's no harm, but be aware it's a work in progress and we'll be re-migrating character vaults when we fully migrate to NWNee at some point in the future.

-Dave

--------------------
Dreu Noctem

PMUsers Website
Emaleth_Donnelaith
Posted: Apr 4 2018, 11:35 PM
Quote Post

Dragonslayer

Group: DN Dungeon Mistress
Member No.: 59

Hallos everyone and TAMURRRR!!!

Anyhoo, for right now as I am still stubbornly with XP and newly insulin pen costs, it might be some time until I can be ready for the new NWN, so by all means, upgrade DN and I will pop on as soon as I get myself sorted (i.e., upgrade to 7 at least lol or just get a new machine).

Still whittling away at LotrO as that's the only one I can play since WoW & DIII now need 7 minimum to play. I'll get back into the swing of things, just need to do some work budgeting as well as time to do it all!

XOXOXOXO

--------------------
My Alter-Ego's here on Dreu Noctem

DM Avatar - Miss Red Ruby Deelight

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Cuiusvis hominis est errare, nullius nisi insipientis in errore perseverare.
PMEmail PosterMSN
dave
Posted: Apr 16 2018, 03:05 PM
Quote Post

shad but true

Status update: We've done a dry run of forum migration and it works fairly well for converting posts, but stuff like links to other threads, color tags, quote and code blocks are a bit mangled. These issues affect forum posts, private messages, and signature blocks. I'm going to see what I can do to improve the process with some basic sql search and replace intervention. We are actually running through 3 conversions in succession to get to our final destination, and each step adds more noise to the forums. Each step is also, however, another chance to intervene before noise gets amplified. I'll plan to run at least one more dry run before starting our actual conversion, meaning I expect it won't happen in April. You'll also note fewer patches for the actual game lately as we're focused on server stuff.

FYI, we're targeting MyBB as our new forum software after conversion. You can check them out here.

Does anyone care if we migrate the website first vs the game server? Or vice versa?

Does anyone care if stuff like the My Character Manager and the Character List (including Hall of Fame) break when we move to NWNEE? They will not work on software packages available for the new server without being re-written due to their age. I don't consider them a priority, and may never get to them, but opinions (and volunteers) are always welcome. If nothing else, I think it doesn't make sense to wait to re-write all of those utilities once other parts of the game and/or website are ready to convert.

I do want to at least try to rebuild some of those features after migration, but the PHP/mysql stuff's all new to me and it will not work to just copy it over. I'm not sure how much effort I'll ever throw at it personally to get everything running again. If I do re-write stuff, I might want to add features like letting you see your charcater's progress on certain things like unlock Nexus portals, completing the Pilgrimage, and Slaying Dragons. But we'll see.

Thoughts/feedback on any/all of the above are welcome and invited.

-Dave

--------------------
Dreu Noctem

PMUsers Website
arQon
Posted: Apr 17 2018, 06:25 PM
Quote Post

EMS creator and DN Offical Bug Manager

Member No.: 297

one quick note: since the game server and the website will be on different machines for a bit during the move, the Server Status page will also stop working for a while as well.

--------------------
azmaveth> so, for my first stint as a dm, I feel the need to spawn a dragon or two on a party of babies...
dave> go find Kev when he makes his next baby :p
dave> he prolly kill it
PM
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
« Next Oldest | The AFK Lounge - Community Discussion and Off Topic Chatter | Next Newest »

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0301 ]   [ 11 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]