Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Fletching Exceptional Arrows, A Call to Test
Strider
Posted: Jun 30 2006, 08:37 PM
Quote Post

PowerMuchkinGamer

Group: DN Module Designer
Member No.: 186

I've been talking with SirSlider this week who has been running up his fletching skill.

I mentioned to him that there are exceptional arrows - of which he hasn't made any of yet. He's gained 400 points in fletching without making one, so they seem to be not working.

Could someone else with a fletcher try a bit and see if they get any exceptional?

--------------------
Neil "Strider" Looby
DM Avatar: Zerroffe Traptripper
NWN Screen Shots Gallery
Dreu Noctem Characters

Sometimes you burn a bridge. Othertimes you have to napalm it.
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteICQ
Bass69
  Posted: Jul 1 2006, 02:35 AM
Quote Post

Speaker to Rogues

Group: Dreu Noctem Player
Member No.: 123

I can try with Diana this weekend

Bass tongue.gif

--------------------
PMEmail PosterAOLYahooMSN
arQon
Posted: Jul 1 2006, 07:14 AM
Quote Post

EMS creator and DN Offical Bug Manager

Group: DN Design Lead
Member No.: 297

Archer by name, but not by nature. He has *zero* DEX, and as a result won't be able to make exceptional items until he boosts it.

--------------------
azmaveth> so, for my first stint as a dm, I feel the need to spawn a dragon or two on a party of babies...
dave> go find Kev when he makes his next baby :p
dave> he prolly kill it
PM
Duster47
Posted: Jul 1 2006, 08:16 AM
Quote Post

Klingons Don't Cuddle

Member No.: 83

SanejmeH has recently made exceptional ammo but only about 1-in-20 attempts turned out that way.

--------------------
'etlhwIj mujatlhvaD

Klingon - My sword shall speak for me.

+++ HouSe of martok +++

muvoQchu' (they have faith in me clearly) - P23/F4 -miner/blacksmith of fine weapons and armor

Sabomchu'meH (I sing clearly for you) - Bard21/Barb2 - tanner/tailor & fletcher

SanejmeH (I search for you) - Bard21 - jeweler, fletcher & alchemist

SateHchu' puqloD Sabomchu'meH je muvoQchu' (I-am-true-to-you-clearly son of Sabomchu'meH and muvoQchu') - Ranger12

bangLi'teH puqbe' Sabomchu'meH je muvoQchu' (love-your-be-true daughter of Sabomchu'meH and muvoQchu') - C5/P1

+++ frienDS of tlhe HouSe of martok +++

jIyoHbej (I be-brave certainly) - Barbarian10/F6 - mercenary
PMEmail Poster
Emaleth_Donnelaith
Posted: Jul 1 2006, 11:57 AM
Quote Post

Dragonslayer

Group: DN Dungeon Mistress
Member No.: 59

QUOTE (arQon @ Jul 1 2006, 10:14 AM)
Archer by name, but not by nature. He has *zero* DEX, and as a result won't be able to make exceptional items until he boosts it.

Hmm might have something to do with this:

Bowyering
Related Secondary Skills: None
Tools required: Paring Knife, Woodman's Axe. Woodman's Axe requires Martial/Rogue Weapon Proficiency.
Primary Attribute: Intelligence
Weight requirement: Medium
Initial Investment: Very low
Profit: High - ability to make powerful ranged weapons, in some cases better than what the game offers.

This is a very simple and profitable skill that will appeal to bow users - typically Fighters, Rangers and Rogues. Using this skill, as the name implies, you can make bows (short and long) and crossbows (light and heavy). It's a skill that will require a lot of patience, however.

Right then, first you begin by taking your Woodman's Axe to a tree. Oak trees just outside the Fletcher's will do well to begin with. While chopping the tree, you may obtain both long and short staves - short staves are required for shortbows, long staves for longbows. For crossbows, that'll come later, but they'll require BOTH short and long staves of different kinds - the spine is made out of long stave and the arm out of the short stave. Oh, and feel free to sing the Lumberjack's song from Monty Python - go on, the friendly DN's lumberjack also does that! No comment about putting on women's clothing and hanging around in bars tho...

Now that you've had some staves, go seek the Fletcher, conveniently located in Birnham Forest East (off Faeyn). He'll also give you 5 skillpoints to begin with. To make a bow, you need staves as well as various cords. A pumice stone is also required to make smooth bows (they are more powerful than rough bows but, you guessed it, harder to make). If you're making compound bows, crossbows and battlebows, also note that you'll also need a PAIR of compound bow pulleys. Higher end bows as well as unique bows also require Bowyering Essence, all available for purchase.

Exceptional-able: All bows and crossbows with exception of unique bows and battlebows.

Quirks: Again, gross violation of the conservation of mass. The fact that the guards won't care if you chop down the trees. And who the hell forgot about Yew trees? Sure it makes the crafting so much less tedious, but old English longbowmen already knew that they prefer to pluck yew.

Fletching
Related Secondary Skills: None
Tools required: Fletching Knife
Weight requirement: Very low
Initial Investment: Medium
Profit: Low to medium low - ability to make some decent ammunition.

The complementary skill to Bowyering... while you make guns with the other, this one gives you the ammo. Anyway, it is best to raise this skill cocurrently with Bowyering, since they're done in the same building, and since you typically don't make much profit out of Fletching anyway. You want to use your crafted stuff instead of selling them. Anyway, you start out by being able to make standard arrows and bolts, but eventually you'll be able to make elemental ammunition. Currently, this skill is capped at 160. The Master Fletcher will give you 5 skillspoints to start with.

Everything you need here, you can buy. You can start by crafting shafts out of short staves, but this is quite a waste because staves are more profitable to be turned into bows. Initially, however, this is the only thing you can do, so do it. To craft an arrow or bolt, you need three things: a tail, a shaft, and a head. (Sorry. Couldn't resist.) But anyway, you need fletching as tail, and arrowheads for head. In addition, to make elemental arrows, you'll need advanced arrowheads and relevant fletching essence. Remember, you don't have to trudge through the jungle to get all these... all available at your friendly neighborhood Master Fletcher.

Exceptional-able: all arrows and bolts.

From this thread. I looked and was wondering why a fighter had so much intelligence myself lol. Maybe this is done wrong, as alchemy is a Wisdom craft, not Intelligence as it is mentioned.

EDIT: Re the Alchemy, I had posted about this too, but no one has changed it from this:

Alchemy
Related Secondary Skills: Refining
Tools required: Alchemist's Ladle, Pestle. Pestle requires Simple/Rogue Weapon Proficiency.
Weight requirement: Low
Initial Investment: Low
Profit: None - you make it, chum, you suck it.

This skill allows you to make potions - healing and magical. Basically everything that your average monster drops, and maybe some others as well. With the decreasing amount of potion drops from monsters, this skill starts to show its value

This is a very tedious skill to advance since it requires a huge collection of body parts to start with. Find an Alchemist - one is available on Avonlea Vineyard. She'll give you 5 initial points to Alchemy and Refining if you pay the appropriate fee. You need to refine raw materials using a pestle to make the pure, wholesome and nutricious stuff you need to make your potions. Then, you use the ladle to start making potions. It's that easy. You start, of course, with Cure Light Wounds potions. The recipes typically requires pure honey, and special potions require two refined or powdered monster body parts. Pretty much any body part you pick up from dead monsters can be refined.

Exceptional-able: so far, I haven't seen, and don't expect to see, exceptional potions.

Oh and there are plenty of exceptional potions to be made :-) And btw, my Monk who has high Wis is an alchemist. Hence the Wisdom needed instead of Int.

EDIT2: Ok Don made a post on last page:

Primary skills
Armourcrafting: STR
Weaponsmithing: STR
Mining: STR
Jewelcrafting: CHA
Bowyer: DEX
Fletching: DEX
Alchemy: WIS
Tailoring: inexplicably, CHA :P

Maybe we should update the requirements from Phage's post so others don't get useless attributes?

This post has been edited by Emaleth_Donnelaith on Jul 1 2006, 12:04 PM

--------------------
My Alter-Ego's here on Dreu Noctem

DM Avatar - Miss Red Ruby Deelight

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Cuiusvis hominis est errare, nullius nisi insipientis in errore perseverare.
PMEmail PosterMSN
Phage
Posted: Jul 1 2006, 08:00 PM
Quote Post

Divine Asskickerologist

Member No.: 117

There are too many changes to ATS already that I would probably need a complete rewrite of the ATS guide.

It didn't take me too long to do the last one, but my biggest concern with the current form of ATS is my unfamiliarity with it.

--------------------
Veni, vidi, dormivi. - I came, I saw... I slept.
-----------------------------
Current writing project (on hold): The Hidden Depths
Check out A Guide to Divine Asskickery - DN Cleric Guide!
"Prestige classes are classes that every player would like their characters to have, but must first gain permission from Wizards of the Coast before their character can take one." - RPGA test
PMEmail Poster
Chevalis
Posted: Oct 7 2006, 10:13 PM
Quote Post

Greeks Don't Exist

Member No.: 203

I'll give this a try soon as time permits once I finish up some things builder side... wacko.gif

Chev Implis is max on arrow fletching with only sonic left that is not green and he has both Dex and Int to spare... biggrin.gif

--------------------

"... I see with eyes of a hunter,____________________"...Do you feel scared, to feel so much,
No one can escape..._____________________________To let somebody touch you,
I'm a devil of an
archer,_____________________i______So hot, so cold, so far so out of control
For you its too late..."
_____________________________Hard to come by, and harder to hold.."

--apologises to Funker Vogt

do not meddle in the affairs of DRAGONS for you are CRUNCHY & taste good with ketchup!!
PMEmail Poster
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
« Next Oldest | DN: The Crossroads - Suggestions and Questions Inbox | Next Newest »

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0262 ]   [ 12 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]