| I used to build portraits manually with phto editing software like irfanview and gimp, but it turns out there's a quicker way, using the game itself, if you want to go with quick n dirty:
Have NWN Automatically create it for you
(Thanks to Mystra and Georg Zoeller)
- Place a .JPG into your "/portraits/" directory where you installed NWN (i.e. C:\NeverwinterNights\portraits\Mypic.jpg). If there isn't a folder called portraits, create one.
- Start NWN and either start a new game or load a saved one.
- Start the console by hitting the tilde key ("~")in the upper left hand corner.
- Type "Conv" and then Tab which will auto complete the command "ConvertPortrait" (remember, commands are CaSe SeNsItIvE)
- Add to that the name of your image. For example "Mypic", don't add the extension
- This will automatically create all the different files needed. Zip it up and share it with the community, you're done.
Reference, for more info: http://wiki.avlis.org/Making_a_Custom_Portrait