Dreu Noctem

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Animal Companions/familiars
Medieve
Posted: Dec 9 2006, 07:19 PM
Quote Post

Group: Dreu Noctem Player
Member No.: 478

I went through the class changes and some of the other pinned topics but I didn't notice any changes done to them. Has there been anything done that might make them actually useful?
PMEmail Poster
Phage
Posted: Dec 9 2006, 10:26 PM
Quote Post

Divine Asskickerologist

Group: DN Module Designer
Member No.: 117

The only thing I can think of is that they now slowly regenerate HP, but can only be fed once every rest. As for basic spells, AI and stats, I don't think someone have actually done anything to them.

Correct me if I'm wrong, though.

--------------------
Veni, vidi, dormivi. - I came, I saw... I slept.
-----------------------------
Current writing project (on hold): The Hidden Depths
Check out A Guide to Divine Asskickery - DN Cleric Guide!
"Prestige classes are classes that every player would like their characters to have, but must first gain permission from Wizards of the Coast before their character can take one." - RPGA test
PMEmail Poster
Emaleth_Donnelaith
Posted: Dec 9 2006, 10:50 PM
Quote Post

Dragonslayer

Group: DN Dungeon Mistress
Member No.: 59

Hey there Medieve, good to see you back here! With familiars and companions, well, here on DN and with the EMS, they do share your buffs.. to level 4 buffs iirc. And with targeting stones you can buff them even further just as you would in a party buffing another player, I've seen some characters with some darned good F&C's too, so I would imagine through the years alot has been done with them but just not documented in the Class Changes thread.

There have been many changes with customized summons, as they scale and change with your level as well as the rogue stones of Charess. Its hard for me to pinpoint everything that has been done, I'm sure there are others who know more.. like the scripters/designers themselves. :-)

The thing I have learned about any type of pet, whether it be companion, familiar or a summons, is that they are very handy when it comes fighting as enemies tend to target them first, great for distracting... and they give a player that extra edge of strategy so the enemy can be defeated. Sure, there are some who have better pets, but longevity of said pet sometimes goes with buffs, or better using the V-commands to keep one out of harms way if you are facing something that will kill it in one hit/spell. They are also great for spawning more too if you enjoy more challenge.

I reckon it all boils down to how a player uses them and what they do for each. Druids for example have hmm 4 or 5 spells specifically for their companions... extra boosts to attacks, healing etc. And some players who multi-class have many summons to use as they wish. I know one or two of my characters have 7 (lol including the little rogue stone piggy who I have brought into epic areas when all the others have died and sometimes he lives to the last death!) and those are all class specific (i.e., Blackguard, Palemaster, etc.) summons and not wizard or sorc summons like the I-IX summons. Ohh I believe too Clerics with Dieties have their own elemental-type summons.

I will say though, anywhere on DN soloing is not an easy thing.. but it can be done and you don't see too many spellcasters soloing without their pets... so in short, I am sure they have had work done on them and yes, they are useful!

Oh, we have a few more new areas thrown in here and there since you were last here.. so have fun exploring!

EDIT: Oh thanks Vic, I forgot about the regen. And yes, they do get full once per rest, but are very easily healed with kits or for Druids with the argh.. forgets the name of the companion healing spell offhand.

This post has been edited by Emaleth_Donnelaith on Dec 9 2006, 10:51 PM

--------------------
My Alter-Ego's here on Dreu Noctem

DM Avatar - Miss Red Ruby Deelight

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Cuiusvis hominis est errare, nullius nisi insipientis in errore perseverare.
PMEmail PosterMSN
arQon
Posted: Dec 10 2006, 06:23 AM
Quote Post

EMS creator and DN Offical Bug Manager

Group: DN Design Lead
Member No.: 297

QUOTE (Phage @ Dec 9 2006, 09:26 PM)
As for basic spells, AI and stats, I don't think someone have actually done anything to them.

You mean, aside from redesigning the Panther from scratch and adding Share Spell?

--------------------
azmaveth> so, for my first stint as a dm, I feel the need to spawn a dragon or two on a party of babies...
dave> go find Kev when he makes his next baby :p
dave> he prolly kill it
PM
Phage
Posted: Dec 10 2006, 08:47 AM
Quote Post

Divine Asskickerologist

Group: DN Module Designer
Member No.: 117

Hey, it's been a while for me.

--------------------
Veni, vidi, dormivi. - I came, I saw... I slept.
-----------------------------
Current writing project (on hold): The Hidden Depths
Check out A Guide to Divine Asskickery - DN Cleric Guide!
"Prestige classes are classes that every player would like their characters to have, but must first gain permission from Wizards of the Coast before their character can take one." - RPGA test
PMEmail Poster
Medieve
Posted: Dec 12 2006, 02:08 PM
Quote Post

Group: Dreu Noctem Player
Member No.: 478

Speaking of coming back, where IS everyone? It seems that everyone lives in a completely different time zone than me.
PMEmail Poster
Emaleth_Donnelaith
Posted: Dec 13 2006, 12:26 AM
Quote Post

Dragonslayer

Group: DN Dungeon Mistress
Member No.: 59

Well, work, holidays and other RL stuff I reckon is the main reason, and I am kinda sorta back to my wee hours in the am before I go to work, and vacation times for other workers doesn't help much in my planning DN time.

A few of us have new homes, upcoming families, new jobs, new paint jobs on cool planes (see Duster's thread on his models), etc. and some even trying out NWN2. Alot of the designers are squeezing out time for updates to DN though and barely have time for that I'm sure! :-)

During the holidays especially it is hard to set up play times, but there will be some who can get away from the shopping madness, lol, and find a bit of time to whack a few heads!

--------------------
My Alter-Ego's here on Dreu Noctem

DM Avatar - Miss Red Ruby Deelight

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Cuiusvis hominis est errare, nullius nisi insipientis in errore perseverare.
PMEmail PosterMSN
dave
Posted: Dec 13 2006, 08:09 AM
Quote Post

shad but true

Group: DN Design Lead
Member No.: 78

Our server has always been pretty quiet, and we've had more designers than players for over a year now pretty consistently. The designers play, of course, but we do it in spurts and fits, it seems. smile.gif

Sometimes you can scare a couple of us up in IRC for a game, but we spend a lot of time there just being AFK and talking about football on sunday evenings rather than playing. smile.gif

I have been spending a lot of my spare time on motorcyle-related stuff instead of DN.

-Dave

--------------------
Dreu Noctem
- featuring arQon's EMS Spell system
- DN Bug reports go here or here!

[12:32] <arQon> i can design a munchkin in 2 minutes, but it takes me hours to pick a name :P
PMUsers Website
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
« Next Oldest | DN: The Crossroads - Suggestions and Questions Inbox | Next Newest »

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0248 ]   [ 11 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]