Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> My Other Hobby, Has been keeping me busy
Duster47
Posted: Dec 6 2006, 05:14 PM
Quote Post

Klingons Don't Cuddle

Group: DN Module Designer
Member No.: 83

Yeah! It is finished. biggrin.gif How I got there ...

First, it was painted, sealed with a glossy water-based clearcoat, decaled and now looking quite clean.
user posted image

A bit too clean so using the paint-solvent resistance clear sealant that the decals are applied onto as a base, all of the panel lines, seams, and other surface features are dabbed with very dilute dark-gray. It is not so clean looking now.
user posted image

Next, use a cotton ball or Q-tip dipped lightly in paint thinner are used fore-to-aft to wipe away the excess dark-gray. Use many light-strokes to ease into the effect. If too much is rubbed off simply re-apply and start over. Rubbing too hard will break through the clearcoat and mar the base-finish.
user posted image

Then all of the parts are assembled into a complete airplane. The top:
user posted image

The bottom; note the nearly-scratch-built empty bomb rack and the lightly white-washed (faded) canvas-covered control surfaces on the wing and tail. These are dull-coat painted to enhance the effect.
user posted image

A side shot. The ladder would be removed after the pilot boarded. The dolly was used to launch the airplane like a boat from a boat ramp when deployed at an island seabase. The antennae string is a fraction of a strand of waxed dental floss. ohmy.gif
user posted image

Last, a nice isometric shot. It is officially a Nakajima A6M2-N, codename "Rufe" by the US and is painted in the 1942 standard Imperial Japanese Navy aircraft gray. The markings are for an aircraft deployed on the seaplane tender Kamikawa Maru in action around Shortland Island in the Soloman chain northwest of Guadalcanal.
user posted image

I think it turned out pretty nice for a $13 kit first issued 30-years ago. wub.gif

--------------------
'etlhwIj mujatlhvaD

Klingon - My sword shall speak for me.

+++ HouSe of martok +++

muvoQchu' (they have faith in me clearly) - P23/F4 -miner/blacksmith of fine weapons and armor

Sabomchu'meH (I sing clearly for you) - Bard21/Barb2 - tanner/tailor & fletcher

SanejmeH (I search for you) - Bard21 - jeweler, fletcher & alchemist

SateHchu' puqloD Sabomchu'meH je muvoQchu' (I-am-true-to-you-clearly son of Sabomchu'meH and muvoQchu') - Ranger12

bangLi'teH puqbe' Sabomchu'meH je muvoQchu' (love-your-be-true daughter of Sabomchu'meH and muvoQchu') - C5/P1

+++ frienDS of tlhe HouSe of martok +++

jIyoHbej (I be-brave certainly) - Barbarian10/F6 - mercenary
PMEmail Poster
althai
Posted: Dec 7 2006, 04:26 AM
Quote Post

Bug Hunter

Group: DN Dungeon Master
Member No.: 124

Very nice job Duster! Best work of yours I've seen so far.

--------------------
Althai / David

"If a 'religion' is defined to be a system of ideas that contains unprovable statements, then G
PMEmail Poster
dave
Posted: Dec 7 2006, 07:58 AM
Quote Post

shad but true

Group: DN Design Lead
Member No.: 78

smile.gif Nice work!

-Dave

--------------------
Dreu Noctem
- featuring arQon's EMS Spell system
- DN Bug reports go here or here!

[12:32] <arQon> i can design a munchkin in 2 minutes, but it takes me hours to pick a name :P
PMUsers Website
Duster47
Posted: Mar 7 2007, 04:58 PM
Quote Post

Klingons Don't Cuddle

The next modelfest is May 19 in Orlando. I hope to finish the 105 mm howitzer diorama by then. Here it is so far:
user posted image
A nicely framed base ready to be filled with landscape. The six man crew and gun are on there for an idea of the overall size (9.5 x 7.5 inches). Piled along the side are scratch-built brass ammo tubes and a much of 105 rounds (cast resin from VLS) and on the board are 24 scratch-built ammo boxes.

Another time consumer has been playing the NWN2 OC. I have been able to manage my "keep" pretty well.
user posted image
I am at the final battle and after two unsuccesful attempts at completion I decided to take a short break. Things go downhill fast several times after a similar screen shot. blink.gif
user posted image

--------------------
'etlhwIj mujatlhvaD

+++ HouSe of martok +++

muvoQchu' (they have faith in me clearly) - P23/F4 -miner/blacksmith of fine weapons and armor

SateHchu' puqloD Sabomchu'meH je muvoQchu' (I-am-true-to-you-clearly son of Sabomchu'meH and muvoQchu') - Ranger12

bangLi'teH puqbe' Sabomchu'meH je muvoQchu' (love-your-be-true daughter of Sabomchu'meH and muvoQchu') - C5/P1

PMEmail Poster
Phage
Posted: Mar 8 2007, 08:51 AM
Quote Post

Divine Asskickerologist

Member No.: 117

That howitzer diorama is grisly. Look at all those decapitated and dismembered bodies! blink.gif

--------------------
Veni, vidi, dormivi. - I came, I saw... I slept.
-----------------------------
Current writing project (on hold): The Hidden Depths
Check out A Guide to Divine Asskickery - DN Cleric Guide!
"Prestige classes are classes that every player would like their characters to have, but must first gain permission from Wizards of the Coast before their character can take one." - RPGA test
PMEmail Poster
Bass69
  Posted: Mar 9 2007, 03:19 AM
Quote Post

Speaker to Rogues

Group: Dreu Noctem Player
Member No.: 123

Aww, you're missing Katrina. She gets you're training at "Best of the Best", but you're doing very well with your keep managment.

Bass tongue.gif

--------------------
PMEmail PosterAOLYahooMSN
althai
Posted: Mar 10 2007, 10:18 AM
Quote Post

Bug Hunter

QUOTE (Duster47 @ Mar 7 2007, 06:58 PM)
The next modelfest is May 19 in Orlando. I hope to finish the 105 mm howitzer diorama by then. Here it is so far:
user posted image
A nicely framed base ready to be filled with landscape. The six man crew and gun are on there for an idea of the overall size (9.5 x 7.5 inches). Piled along the side are scratch-built brass ammo tubes and a much of 105 rounds (cast resin from VLS) and on the board are 24 scratch-built ammo boxes.

Cool. Whatcha using for landscape? I think a jungly swamp would be pretty cool if you have the patience. Water effects are always cool in mini dioramas, imo.

--------------------
Althai / David

"If a 'religion' is defined to be a system of ideas that contains unprovable statements, then G
PMEmail Poster
Bass69
  Posted: Mar 11 2007, 05:41 AM
Quote Post

Speaker to Rogues

QUOTE (Duster47 @ Mar 7 2007, 06:58 PM)
The next modelfest is May 19 in Orlando.  I hope to finish the 105 mm howitzer diorama by then.  Here it is so far:
user posted image
A nicely framed base ready to be filled with landscape.  The six man crew and gun are on there for an idea of the overall size (9.5 x 7.5 inches).  Piled along the side are scratch-built brass ammo tubes and a much of 105 rounds (cast resin from VLS) and on the board are 24 scratch-built ammo boxes.

Another time consumer has been playing the NWN2 OC.  I have been able to manage my "keep" pretty well.
user posted image
I am at the final battle and after two unsuccesful attempts at completion I decided to take a short break.  Things go downhill fast several times after a similar screen shot.  blink.gif
user posted image

If you want a hint in beating the final battle, just let me know. Oh, here's my crew that took KoS down once and for all.

user posted image

Bass tongue.gif

--------------------
Duster47
Posted: Apr 29 2007, 10:07 AM
Quote Post

Klingons Don't Cuddle

I finally finished my M101 howitzer diorama. The Orlando model fest is on May 19. I will enter this, the Rufe, and the T-28 that has been re-worked since last year. Here they are:
user posted image
All of the ammo boxes are scratch-built from wood and brass. The ammo itself is cast resin from Verlinden.
user posted image
The ground is made from Celluclay with a little dirt in it covered with Woodland Scenics grass. The base is about 9" x 8".
user posted image

The T-28 had the landing gear and wheel wells enhanced with opening/closing mechanisms based on the pictures I took in Tucson awhile back:
user posted image
It also now has two napalm bombs replacing the old 250-lb bombs. Fire!! evil.gif user posted image

While I had the camera out I took a photo of my model case. I built it too. In the bottom you can see my bull/bison collection and my mini Egyptian shrine. I really like ancient Egyptian art. cool.gif
user posted image

--------------------
'etlhwIj mujatlhvaD

+++ HouSe of martok +++

PMEmail Poster
Duster47
Posted: Aug 3 2007, 03:33 AM
Quote Post

Klingons Don't Cuddle

I have been tinkering off and on with my next project. Here it is so far:
user posted image
It is a WW2 German Steyr truck with trailer and an 81 mm motor crew.

I foliaged the big tree:
user posted image

I have been spending a great deal of time, relatively speaking on Cerea2 (an NWN2 PW), where I have a new version of Sabom. user posted image
I see Tarasque there from time to time. C2 is a work in-progress but has potential.
user posted image

I have also been traveling more and playing DN from hotels but no one else has dropped in while I was on. But progress has been made as Sabom is now L23. cool.gif

--------------------
'etlhwIj mujatlhvaD

+++ HouSe of martok +++

PMEmail Poster
Emaleth_Donnelaith
Posted: Aug 3 2007, 08:07 AM
Quote Post

Dragonslayer

Group: DN Dungeon Mistress
Member No.: 59

Nice new look there for Sabom, from what I have heard, Weby, et. al., have really done well with putting Cerea into NWN2. Nice screenie too, looks to have more depth, and the 'what you can see' distances.

It's been too hot here to play NWN lately, even in the mornings with it being in the high 70's & low 80's at 3 for cripes sake..lol CPU's been running hotter than usual, and NWN boosts it up at least 10C. So have been babying it a bit. Hopefully it will be cooler this weekend as I need my DN fix!

--------------------
My Alter-Ego's here on Dreu Noctem

DM Avatar - Miss Red Ruby Deelight

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Cuiusvis hominis est errare, nullius nisi insipientis in errore perseverare.
PMEmail PosterMSN
Bass69
  Posted: Aug 3 2007, 11:41 AM
Quote Post

Speaker to Rogues

I might have to play in Cerea 2 someday. Not sure what to make though.

Bass tongue.gif

--------------------
Duster47
Posted: Aug 4 2007, 01:41 PM
Quote Post

Klingons Don't Cuddle

QUOTE (Bass69 @ Aug 3 2007, 01:41 PM)
I might have to play in Cerea 2 someday.  Not sure what to make though.

Bass tongue.gif

Bashy-types do well. Staby-types struggle. Do not see many casters aside for clerics. There are NO magic items (not even a +1 sword but << chain armors do have DR) so you really need to plan your ability and skill points accordingly. Magic stuff will slowly appear according to the web site plans. But NWN2 has a quite beautiful appearance. The people that play there are as good as any at DN.

And Emma, you will not get much sympathy from me about the heat. Mid-90s down here now with routine feels-like 105s. All hail the AC. Wait, you do not have AC.

--------------------
'etlhwIj mujatlhvaD

+++ HouSe of martok +++

PMEmail Poster
althai
Posted: Oct 10 2007, 11:55 PM
Quote Post

Bug Hunter

I decided to take a page out of duster's book and paint a larger plastic model instead of my usual pewter minis:

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

It was pretty fun, but I think I need larger brushes next time!

--------------------
Althai / David

PMEmail Poster
Duster47
Posted: Oct 22 2007, 06:53 AM
Quote Post

Klingons Don't Cuddle

Great looking X-Wing. Those kits can be difficult given the often crappy fit and/or cheezy interiors. An airbrush is really handy for the "big stuff".

--------------------
'etlhwIj mujatlhvaD

+++ HouSe of martok +++

PMEmail Poster
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
« Next Oldest | DN: The Cafe Whim - Pictures and Screenshots | Next Newest »

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0455 ]   [ 12 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]