Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> item updater, potions
arQon
Posted: Oct 21 2010, 02:00 AM
Quote Post

EMS creator and DN Offical Bug Manager

Group: DN Design Lead
Member No.: 297

i updated some Juv Light pots, and that went fine: desc changed from the REALLY old copypasted (wrong) Heal Pot one to "up to 75 HP". one first, then the remaining 9 of the stack in one shot, both worked.

so then i threw in two stacks of ten 100HP ones each. got two "successful" messages, but the chest was empty... sad.gif

i've never looked the code, but it can only possibly be:
getresref
create item
if new object is valid, destroy old one

my GUESS is, the new item was created and merged onto the stack, and then the destruction of it removed the entire stack. except that doesn't match what happened with the 75HP ones, so it's obviously got something to do with the multiple stacks: possibly that the change to 25 per stack caused the two stacks to merge into *each other* as well.

i doubt there's an obvious fix for this, so i'm not going to worry about it, but it's worth recording.

--------------------
azmaveth> so, for my first stint as a dm, I feel the need to spawn a dragon or two on a party of babies...
dave> go find Kev when he makes his next baby :p
dave> he prolly kill it
PM
dave
Posted: Jan 27 2011, 11:37 AM
Quote Post

shad but true

Member No.: 78

I noticed some odd behavior with stackable items in the afk item updater when updating craft mats for my jeweler last week. She lost a few partial stacks of rough gems in a test.

The basic problem has to do with stuff documented here: http://www.nwnlexicon.com/ under CreateItemOnObject()

I think it arises when you try to update something that doesn't need it - but the game doesn't detect that.

What happens:

1) Dave sticks a stack of 5 rough gems in updater, along with other junk
2) Another stack of 5 gems is added to the updater; the stack tests as valid however, the two stacks are merged so
3) when we delete the old stack, we delete the whole thing.

Net effect: Item Updater thinks it worked fine, but player items were destroyed.

Simple fix: only process full stacks. Let players update other stuff via storage. That's probably good enough for now.

We can try to get more complicated, if desired, for some future patch.

~~~

Also, fixed [to be submitted later]:

* an n+1 bug in the item updater item count script [10!=11]
* minor grammar nit in the convo

I've also built a loadhint reader for the afk lounge while I was there.

--------------------
Dreu Noctem
- featuring arQon's EMS Spell system
- DN Bug reports go here or here!

[12:32] <arQon> i can design a munchkin in 2 minutes, but it takes me hours to pick a name :P
PMUsers Website
arQon
Posted: Jan 29 2011, 06:02 PM
Quote Post

dave's latest patch has probably addressed this: i'll check it in a bit

--------------------
azmaveth> so, for my first stint as a dm, I feel the need to spawn a dragon or two on a party of babies...
dave> he prolly kill it
PM
dave
Posted: Jan 29 2011, 07:42 PM
Quote Post

shad but true

Yeah, sounds similar to what I tried to fix. My patch simply disabled the item updater for partial stacks, which is a dumb fix, but I think it worked.

What happened for your test is two stacks of 10 were merged into a single 20 stack, which tested as a valid object, and then was destroyed. smile.gif

We could try to do something a little more sophisticated for partial stacks, but I did what I had time for on Thursday and left it at that.

-Dave

--------------------
Dreu Noctem

[12:32] <arQon> i can design a munchkin in 2 minutes, but it takes me hours to pick a name :P
PMUsers Website
arQon
Posted: Feb 13 2011, 06:40 AM
Quote Post

> My patch simply disabled the item updater for partial stacks, which is a dumb fix, but I think it worked.

maybe, maybe not, kinda...

grak updated 10 old pots without any trouble, so either that's NOT a partial stack because it was a "full" stack at the time, or the check you have doesn't actually work, even tho the OUTCOME was fine in that case.

--------------------
dave> he prolly kill it
PM
dave
Posted: Apr 16 2018, 02:53 AM
Quote Post

shad but true

Bump. This came up again. We decided we could support stacks properly if we had a different input and output placeable.

It is of interest as we've buffed the caster level of animal pots throughout the mod for fresh drops, but legacy pots are still the older/shorter duration caster level.

We haven't wanted to pursue it beyond the idea phase, however.

-Dave

--------------------
Dreu Noctem

PMUsers Website
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
« Next Oldest | The Shifting Sands - Bug & Exploit Reports | Next Newest »

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0322 ]   [ 12 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]