> NWN Enhanced edition
dave
Posted: Nov 21 2017, 02:54 PM
Quote Post

shad but true

Group: DN Design Lead
Member No.: 78

http://www.pcgamer.com/amp/neverwinter-nig...nounced-for-pc/

I wonder if this might help with some of the vfx issues we see with stuff like the bw ice wastes tileset.

Dave

--------------------
Dreu Noctem
- featuring arQon's EMS Spell system
- DN Bug reports go here or here!

[12:32] <arQon> i can design a munchkin in 2 minutes, but it takes me hours to pick a name :P
PMUsers Website
dave
Posted: Nov 22 2017, 12:37 AM
Quote Post

shad but true

Current patch notes for the work in progress v1.74 of this product : https://www.beamdog.com/files/nwnee_release_notes.pdf

-Dave

--------------------
Dreu Noctem

[12:32] <arQon> i can design a munchkin in 2 minutes, but it takes me hours to pick a name :P
PMUsers Website
arQon
Posted: Nov 22 2017, 05:21 AM
Quote Post

EMS creator and DN Offical Bug Manager

Member No.: 297

there are a LOT of very familiar bugs in their "fixed" list, which is nice.

they do mention the "shiny water" fix, which is in the same wheelhouse, but definitely not the same bug.
fundamentally, the bug is really with the "environment mapping" code, and/ie anywhere the engine uses either an additional texture (or, more likely i expect, the alpha channel) as a secondary component in a shader. that code actually "works" fine on ati cards, but only if the exe is called "nwmain", since that's how ati and nvidia enable per-game hacks **, and unfortunately one of those hacks causes the game to constantly crash on "recent" ati drivers. since THAT bug would be incredibly obvious, it's almost certainly fixed.

(** nvidia famously did this to inflate their benchmark scores on quake3, not by fastpathing the data format (which is legitimate, and something explicitly designed for *in* the Q3 engine) but by degrading the texture samplers etc).

i created an account there to tell them about the compound-types DI bug, which they don't seem to have noticed, but their website is broken and treats me as not signed in on the forums page, so i gave up.

--------------------
azmaveth> so, for my first stint as a dm, I feel the need to spawn a dragon or two on a party of babies...
dave> go find Kev when he makes his next baby :p
dave> he prolly kill it
PM
dave
Posted: Nov 22 2017, 04:13 PM
Quote Post

shad but true

A couple other folks had snags getting registered too, judging by the vault forums. I haven't tried yet but will when I get home to a real computer.

I see enough value in the patch notes for $20 I'll prolly push for us to update once this is available for sale.

It sounds like they are interested in more community feedback, so I'll see if it makes sense to get sucked in more once home. It sounds like folks who preorder may have a chance to help beta test. I'm tempted to dive in and tempted to run away screaming.

-Dave

--------------------
Dreu Noctem

PMUsers Website
Strider
Posted: Nov 22 2017, 07:41 PM
Quote Post

PowerMuchkinGamer

Group: DN Module Designer
Member No.: 186

Hey, it caught my attention. Disappointing it's not a major graphics overhaul though. smile.gif

Oh. Hi! tongue.gif

--------------------
Neil "Strider" Looby
DM Avatar: Zerroffe Traptripper
NWN Screen Shots Gallery
Dreu Noctem Characters

Sometimes you burn a bridge. Othertimes you have to napalm it.
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteICQ
dave
Posted: Nov 23 2017, 02:12 PM
Quote Post

shad but true

Hihi!

Fyi, sounds like we can participate in the beta by preordering without any extra requirements or luck. I don't think the Linux binaries are available yet tho.

-Dave

--------------------
Dreu Noctem

PMUsers Website
arQon
Posted: Nov 24 2017, 05:20 AM
Quote Post

a wild neil appears! hihi! smile.gif

yeah - i'm surprised there isn't an asset overhaul as part of this, even if only in some areas. the poly counts for models are pretty low even for the era it was released in (mostly because there's no LODing, afaict) and the textures are tiny. that said, the poly density isn't actually too inappropriate for full zoom, and the same goes for the textures. considering how many models there are, reworking them is likely beyond the resources they have, which is a shame.

post-processing stuff like bloom etc is so trivial to write that i'm not surprised to see that done, and it looks like they've added/reworked a bunch of shaders at least, which again suggests they've got developers but no artists or modelers.

--------------------
azmaveth> so, for my first stint as a dm, I feel the need to spawn a dragon or two on a party of babies...
dave> he prolly kill it
PM
dave
Posted: Nov 24 2017, 08:23 PM
Quote Post

shad but true

It sounds like we can write our own shaders and stick them in a hak, too. Sounds powerful, anyway, for those with the requisite talents to use the features.

I'll look into preordeting this weekend.

Dave

--------------------
Dreu Noctem

PMUsers Website
Strider
Posted: Nov 24 2017, 10:37 PM
Quote Post

PowerMuchkinGamer

Part that caught my attention was that existing persistent servers should be able to use it - I know whenever I've thought of visiting, I knew I was faced with a bunch of install trickery to get there.

If it was no-hassle install I just might visit. smile.gif

You guy still kicking it on IRC or you on Slack or Discord yet?

--------------------
Neil "Strider" Looby
NWN Screen Shots Gallery
Dreu Noctem Characters

dave
Posted: Nov 25 2017, 03:38 PM
Quote Post

shad but true

QUOTE (arQon @ Nov 22 2017, 12:21 AM)
i created an account there to tell them about the compound-types DI bug, which they don't seem to have noticed, but their website is broken and treats me as not signed in on the forums page, so i gave up.

I am home now and ran into some confusion getting into my account on their website. So, dunno if this will help, but:

1) Go to forums.beamdog.com
2) There is a black banner along the top - the rightmost banner option is "Account"

You can interact with that and it looks separate from the forum login/account stuff.

Sigh.

3) There is another horizontal banner of options below that black banner, across the brownish title block for the website. The last option is "Sign In", if you haven't signed in. Once you click Sign In, there is an option "Don't have an account? Create One." This gets you into the forums. One you have signed in, the options change to "Account Name / Sign Out"

-Dave

--------------------
Dreu Noctem

PMUsers Website
dave
Posted: Nov 25 2017, 03:47 PM
Quote Post

shad but true

QUOTE (Strider @ Nov 24 2017, 05:37 PM)
Part that caught my attention was that existing persistent servers should be able to use it - I know whenever I've thought of visiting, I knew I was faced with a bunch of install trickery to get there.

If it was no-hassle install I just might visit. smile.gif

You guy still kicking it on IRC or you on Slack or Discord yet?

Aye. Not having to dig up 5 old discs and 3 CD keys will be nice, having rebuilt my machine twice this fall and once last year, heh. *sideglance at stupid Win10 auto-forced update crap failure-and-repeat-cycle $%%^$%^$*

At this point, linux server and nwnx support are unavailable; once those are pushed out, we could explore the idea of either setting up a test instance on another port or just committing DN as a beta test mod, depending on how folks (Kev, you, me & anyone else who shows up feels - Kathy ? ).

You'll still need to grab our HAKs/TLK off the DN website, but hopefully that's simple enough. ohmy.gif We're still running Monday nights.

Our IRC is dead, afaik. Kev introduced me to Discord last year, though we've gotten lazy about logging in. See: http://www.dreunoctem.com/index.php?showto...t=0&#entry40747 . I'd be open to using whatever though.

-Dave

--------------------
Dreu Noctem

PMUsers Website
Strider
Posted: Nov 27 2017, 08:06 PM
Quote Post

PowerMuchkinGamer

QUOTE (dave @ Nov 25 2017, 06:47 PM)
Our IRC is dead, afaik. Kev introduced me to Discord last year, though we've gotten lazy about logging in. See: http://www.dreunoctem.com/index.php?showto...t=0&#entry40747 . I'd be open to using whatever though.

I'm on Discord at work and home, so I'm on quite a bit. My MTG community has some very active servers.

Anyways, I'm on. smile.gif

--------------------
Neil "Strider" Looby
NWN Screen Shots Gallery
Dreu Noctem Characters

arQon
Posted: Nov 28 2017, 02:33 AM
Quote Post

i'm sure i still HAVE my CDs and manuals etc, but i certainly don't know WHERE they are. (i've got the ISOs on my NAS, but they're not much use without the keys in the manuals if i ever do have to reinstall, ugh). i just copy the entire nwn tree from one drive to the next, and i have an "nwn.reg" file in there too which is an export of the registry subtree it needs ([HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\BioWare\NWN]).

--------------------
dave> he prolly kill it
PM
dave
Posted: Dec 2 2017, 04:17 AM
Quote Post

shad but true

--------------------
Dreu Noctem

PMUsers Website
dave
Posted: Dec 16 2017, 06:29 AM
Quote Post

shad but true

QUOTE (arQon @ Nov 24 2017, 12:20 AM)
yeah - i'm surprised there isn't an asset overhaul as part of this, even if only in some areas. the poly counts for models are pretty low even for the era it was released in (mostly because there's no LODing, afaict) and the textures are tiny. that said, the poly density isn't actually too inappropriate for full zoom, and the same goes for the textures. considering how many models there are, reworking them is likely beyond the resources they have, which is a shame.

Based on following along on their forums and twitch casts, they currently have zero plans to try and redo all the existing art assets. They have neither the resources nor the interest.

What they do hint at is possibly making their own modules for sale, and including new art assets as a part of the project. So, if they need a new tileset and some monster models for a new module, they sound game for that. Eventually. However, that's quite some time away. They may also be open to re-touching some models if needed for a specific project.

-Dave

--------------------
Dreu Noctem

PMUsers Website
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
« Next Oldest | DN: The AFK Lounge - Community Discussion and Off Topic Chatter | Next Newest »

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0278 ]   [ 11 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]